Re: I am just kind of dissapointed

  • River
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2003
      The camden tablet is used to kill the natural yeasts present in the
      cider. If you use a camden tablet you must add yeast. If you wish to
      go with the natural yeast, do not add the camden tablets.

      If you decide to go with the natural yeast, be advised that it will
      probably take longer to ferment. Also the taste and quality will be
      more variable from batch to batch. That being said, I do know quite
      a few people who do prefer doing it the natural way.

      Good Luck,
      River

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Tom Johnson <tjohnson@s...>
      wrote:
      > I've got a distiller and have been following the distilllers site
      for awhile
      > but was pretty vaugue for a begginer, so the "new" list is a good
      move but i
      > think almost like a beggining class on distilling a "assignment"
      with some
      > basic instruction would be great i guess the first step would be
      to decide
      > on what kind of potion would be a good first.
      >
      > I did attempt to make cider a month or so ago , bought a jug
      (organic)put
      > in some cinnamon , a bit more sugar, and a campden tablet crushed
      and sealed
      > it up i got the air out of the jug when adding the sugar (brown
      sugar &white
      > sugar liquidized in a saucepan with water).
      > but i think this recipe needed yeast it didnt call for it, i
      thought the
      > campden tablet would ferment the batch , i ended up after about 15
      days with
      > a gallon of wierd stuff, a dark hairball lookin thing was sittin
      on the
      > bottom of the jug and the overall taste was almost like water. so
      i guess i
      > needed to add a yeast of some kind as well.
      > my goal in buying the distiller was to make grappa and maybe even
      tequilla
      > eventually.
    • paul reynolds
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 24, 2013
        I am kind of new at it myself but would be glad to help you with what I know I have made a few good batches since starting.