Re: [Distillers] Vapor management versus reflux control

  • homedistiller
    Message 1 of 53 , Dec 1, 2003
      Well explained Mike, thanks!
      Dirk

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Nixon" <mike@s...> wrote:

      > On this question of tainting, it is worth bearing in mind that
      congeners can
      > stick around on the surface anywhere they previously condensed or
      liquid
      > they are in has touched, be that the scrubbers, the walls of the
      still, a
      > reflux reservoir, or the top condenser. Any liquid that condenses
      from
      > purer vapor will be tainted by this film of liquid to some degree.
      If,
      > however, you direct that purer vapor to an area that has not been
      previously
      > tainted and then condense it, then the liquid you get will reflect
      the
      > purity of that vapor. In short, it is pure condensing liquid that
      can get
      > tainted if it runs over a surface wetted with impurities, not vapor
      that
      > passes by such surfaces. The key factor in this business of
      tainting is
      > "physical contact".
      > Pour Napoleon brandy into a dirty coffee cup and you ruin the
      brandy. Pour
      > it into a clean cup or glass and it remains clean.
      >
      > Mike N
    • Mike Nixon
      Message 53 of 53 , Dec 9, 2003
        Shane Kirkman wrote:
        Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Re: [Distillers] Vapor management versus
        reflux control

        So would a cup or 2 of boiling water tipped down the condenser tube after
        the heads are removed help remove the tainting?
        ===============
        Hi Shane,

        It might, although you usually need to give components a good scrubbing with
        detergent, or soak in some active cleanser, to really shift those
        contaminants.

        Frankly, I wouldn't worry about it. What we are talking about here is a
        tiny amount of additional purification which is probably only worth
        bothering about if you are after ultra pure ethanol for use with scents or
        essences. In that case it is then probably better to go the 'dedicated
        path' way and try to keep as much of the heads away from your main product
        collection path.

        Just shows how far we have all come on this list (which was supposed to be
        for newbies!) that we are now discussing removal of trace compounds! Just a
        couple of years ago it was "what the hell is distillation?" :-)

        Cheers!
        Mike N