RE: [new_distillers] Short column

  • Johan
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 27, 2003
      > It's no problem to get 95% with a 2 feet column if it's run with high
      > reflux ratio, I mean if the packing is 2 feet, using good packing
      > (scrubbers or amphora) and all reflux fed at the top.

      Tony:
      The amphora packing is the only one that I've heard of that can do that.
      With scrubbers, 2' is quite a struggle to get the higher % out of.
      ____________________________

      Here is some data I collected:
      35 mm column, using scrubbers winded into a cylindershape

      50 cm packing with scrubbers:
      boiler temperature/ power on the still/ collecting rate/ purity

      90-91C 825W 7dl/h 95,5-96%
      91C 1000W 8,3 dl/h 95%
      91-92 C 700W 7 dl/h 95%
      92 C 500W 6,4 dl/h 93%
      92 C 300W 2,0 dl/h 93%
      94 C 800W 5,6 dl/h 95,5%
      94 C 800W 5,3 dl/h 95,5-96%
      96 C 1000W 6,7 dl/h 95%
      97 C 1000W 6,0 dl/h 94,5%
      98 C 700W 2,6 dl/h 96%
      98-99 C 700W 3,9 dl/h 89%
      99 C 700W 2,9 dl/h 74% maxspeed (vm)
      100C 700W 2 dl/h 70% maxspeed
      100C 700W 1,7 dl/h 58% maxspeed
      100C 700W 0,7 dl/h 30% maxspeed, turned it off

      28 cm packing, not so very hard packed (but harder than people usually
      seems to pack)

      0,78 l/h 94.5% 91-92 grader mäsken 720W
      0,36 l/h 95% temp in mash 92 500W
      0,44 l/h 95,5% temp 93 750W
      0,51 l/h 94% temp 93 750W
      0,49 l/h 94,5% temp 94 700W
      0,80 l/h 78% temp 95 700W
      1 l/h 67% temp 95 770W

      29 cm packing, very very hard packed (winded as hard as I could and hard
      compressed into column, can't get it harder than this)
      Flooding at 600W

      0,33 l/h 96% temp in mash 93C 510W
      0,31 l/h 96% temp 93C 515W
      0,44 l/h 95% 94C 520W
      0,43 l/h 93% 95C 520W
      0,191 l/h 96% 98C 520W

      Changing to shotgun condenser made it possible to increase power a
      little without flooding, haven't tested that enough though.

      Johan