Re: bending up a condensing coil

  • nanosleep
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 23, 2003
      I've uploaded a photo of my coil into the photos section (you may have
      to click "show all" at the bottom of the page).

      My coil is a double coil of 1/4 inch tubing that fits inside a 2 inch
      pipe. Your 3 layers in a 3 inch pipe is definitely workable (maybe
      even 4 layers). Are you using a torch to bend the tubing? When I
      bent mine I used a plastic tube to bend around and several times I
      heated the tubing to red-hot with the torch and then let it cool. The
      heating is the secret to bending a tight radius. I didn't use any
      tubing bender tool. I bent everything by hand. If you look closely
      at the photo you'll notice a little flattening of the tubing on the
      inner coil. This doesn't seem to significantly affect the water flow
      Also it's difficult to directly bend small radius. I found it to be
      easier to bend a larger radius coil (about 2 inches) and then slowly
      reduce it's radius by squeezing with your hands. Only reduce the
      radius about 1/16 inch at a time. Start at one end and work your way
      down the coil. Make several passes over the coil reducing the radius
      each time. Use the torch between passes. My inner coil had about a 1
      inch diameter. This seems to be a practical lower limit on the
      diameter.

      Hope this helps

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "greentree3212002"