Re: [new_distillers] PDA and 50L,25L,5L

  • Mike Nixon
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 18, 2003
      vector180 wrote (after reply)
      Subject: [new_distillers] PDA and 50L,25L,5L

      O Most Fortunate of All Men, to have such a Wondrously Techtittivated
      system! :-)
      Doesn't really matter what size of wash you process if the heater is not
      exposed, nor how fast you heat it up. All you should be aiming for when it
      comes to the boil is to adjust the heat so that it continues at a gentle
      simmer so that the vapour is moving nice and steady, not surging.
      Equivalent heat input to the PDA-1 should be around 800W for best results if
      processing vodka, but you can up that to 1500W if making whiskey or rum as
      you don't want the separation to be as thorough.
      My best regards to that koala.
      Mike N
      ================================

      looking specificly at the PDA sittin atop a 50L keg.
      My heater system is a SSrelay type micro controlled, with PID,manual,
      timed, burst etc etc.
      Id just like to clarify a few things.
      objective: to be able to heat up quick, and cook 50L or 25L or 5L with
      the same setup.
      Im looking at a 2.4kw heater to get the 50L up to temp as soon as
      possible. but Im not always doing 50L runs:) often its 25L and maybe
      even 5L.
      I heard mention somewhere that 5L in a 50L is not good because of the
      vacant space above the wash level. Did I hear right? or as long as the
      end wash level stays above the element is that ok?
      25L will be half full again the same Q.

      Ive seen various reports re: setting PID heaters etc. As Im being
      specific to your PDA now and knowing I have a controller that will
      pretty much do anything I ask it(even make the coffe) what would you
      suggest?
      get the "wash" to 84degc asap (little if no overshoot of course) and
      keep it there.
      Im trying to be energy effecient here. least amount of cooling flow and
      no excess heat.

      let me know if im barking up the wrong koala here