Re: 1st rum run

  • Chris Alexander
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 18, 2003
      i too am using a pure panella wash w excellent results. i use a pot
      still, and only once. going on 2 months aging and just about the best
      rum i've ever had. i make about 5 gals a wweek, so am getting a good
      stock.

      Oaking-- per 2 liters-- i add 2 little finger sized sticks of fully
      carbonized oak(put the pieces in a bean can w alu foil lid w small
      hole on a heat source for 30 minutes or so, preferably outside) and 2
      same sized sticks natural. i start at full strength(60-65%) and add a
      little water every couple weeks till 100 - 110 proof. below 100 proof
      it starts getting insipid.

      spices-- i like a rich fiesty caribe style rum. taking off from info
      in some of hector's posts my recipe is, per 2 liters:

      1 full stick of cinnamon ( again, little finger size)
      30 raisins
      30 eye dropper drops of vanilla
      8 cloves

      shake daily.........in 2-3 weeks will get mellow and really tasty. to
      me the vanilla is the most important of the spices.