Stainless Steel ?

  • Laurens
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 12, 2003
      Is it posible to silver solder Stainless Steel?
      Is it posible to Braze Stainless Steel?

      I have a 52L Stainless Steel drum with a 3" opening at the top and i
      have some Stainless Steel plate with a 2" hole for my mounting mech.

      I have an oxy/acetline setup.
    • Rutger
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 13, 2003
        > Is it posible to silver solder Stainless Steel?

        Yes, no problem. You can even normally solder SS with the apropriate flux.

        > Is it posible to Braze Stainless Steel?

        Yes, it's the same as silversoldering.

        > I have a 52L Stainless Steel drum with a 3" opening at the top and i
        > have some Stainless Steel plate with a 2" hole for my mounting mech.
        >
        > I have an oxy/acetline setup.

        Even with a propane or oxy-propane it will work. Use the apropriate flux.

        Rutger
      • Dexter James
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 13, 2003
          What type of flux should i ask for to use regular solder to attach copper to stainless steel??

          Rutger <rutgerr@...> wrote:

          > Is it posible to silver solder Stainless Steel?

          Yes, no problem. You can even normally solder SS with the apropriate flux.

          > Is it posible to Braze Stainless Steel?

          Yes, it's the same as silversoldering.

          > I have a 52L Stainless Steel drum with a 3" opening at the top and i
          > have some Stainless Steel plate with a 2" hole for my mounting mech.
          >
          > I have an oxy/acetline setup.

          Even with a propane or oxy-propane it will work. Use the apropriate flux.

          Rutger

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • MH
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 13, 2003
            > Is it posible to silver solder Stainless Steel?
            > Is it posible to Braze Stainless Steel?
            >
            > I have a 52L Stainless Steel drum with a 3" opening at the top and i
            > have some Stainless Steel plate with a 2" hole for my mounting mech.
            >
            > I have an oxy/acetline setup.

            Its possible but be careful NOT to use ones with cadmium [Cd]*.
            To give you some idea about metal filler formulations & flux
            recommendations this company who supplies the local welding shop
            offers the following --

            J.W. Harris Brazing References:
            Braze/Solder Selection Chart
            http://www.jwharris.com/jwref/chart/

            J.W. Harris References:
            Specification Sheets and
            Material Safety Data Sheets
            http://www.jwharris.com/welref/specs/

            The links above also list braze & solder
            filler metals & fluxes for the following --
            Copper or Brass to Copper or Brass
            Copper or Brass to Steel or Stainless
            Steel or Stainless to Steel or Stainless
            Steel or Stainless to Carbides
            Aluminum to Aluminum (1)
            Aluminum to Nickel (2)
            Aluminum to Steel (3)
            Aluminum to Stainless (3)
            Aluminum to Copper (4)
            Aluminum to Brass (4)

            This should give you some idea what's
            probably available in your hemisphere.

            Other guides --

            *Brazing and Welding 304L Stainless Steel
            By John Palmer
            Republished from Brewing Techniques' November/December 1994
            Silver brazing rod contains no lead, but some
            of the alloys contain cadmium [Cd], which is worse.
            Cadmium will cause severe heavy metal poisoning.
            The American Welding Society alloy designations are
            listed in Table III. Do not use the alloys containing
            cadmium. Look for rods that are made for food industry applications....
            [MORE] http://brewingtechniques.com/library/backissues/issue2.6/palmer.html

            AGR Matthey
            Silver brazing alloys
            http://www.matthey.com.au/JMA_eService/Silver_brazing_Alloys.html