Charcoal Filtering

  • Nolts1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 15 , May 21, 2000
      Can anyone explain the use of Primary Carbon? I see instructions on
      the use of High Activity and then Finishing Carbon but not Primary. I
      have see recipes that call for leaving the spirt on activated
      charcoal for up to six months but it did not specify what kind. Also
      does keeping the spirit on the High Activity Carbon for longer than
      24 hours produce a better product?

      Nolts
    • bob_the_borg
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 16, 2005
        I don't mean to double-post but I do have another question. I plan on
        trying to make a very pure vodka with my new toy.

        Is there a need to filter the final product through activated charcoal
        to remove any impurities?

        I was thinking about making a flow-through chamber with 2" PVC packed
        full of activated charcoal.
      • enibnikrib
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 16, 2005
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bob_the_borg"
          <bob_the_borg@y...> wrote:

          > I don't mean to double-post but I do have another question. I plan on
          > trying to make a very pure vodka with my new toy.
          >
          > Is there a need to filter the final product through activated charcoal
          > to remove any impurities?
          >
          > I was thinking about making a flow-through chamber with 2" PVC packed
          > full of activated charcoal.

          Hi
          Back in the 70s pvc was banned from using it for alcoholic
          containers.Try to use copper.
        • Tim
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 16, 2005
            if i may forward my opinion on the general consensus (sp?) of the group, filter no matter how pure a product you are getting from
            your toy 8-)

            _____

            I don't mean to double-post but I do have another question. I plan on
            trying to make a very pure vodka with my new toy.

            Is there a need to filter the final product through activated charcoal
            to remove any impurities?

            I was thinking about making a flow-through chamber with 2" PVC packed
            full of activated charcoal.

            FAQ and other information available at HYPERLINK "http://homedistiller.org"http://homedistiller.org

            _____

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            _____

          • bob_the_borg
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 17, 2005
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Tim" <bundy_rum98@h...> wrote:

              > if i may forward my opinion on the general consensus (sp?) of the
              group, filter no matter how pure a product you are getting from
              > your toy 8-)

              Thanks for the advice. Any tips on filter design? Someone posted
              earlier that it's not recommended to use PVC.

              I looked for activated charcoal in Home Depot last night with no luck.
              where can that usually be found?

              How often should I rinse or change out the charcoal?
            • Dean Thomas
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 17, 2005
                I usually just put 2 table spoons of carbon in the bottom of my bottles
                with the alcohol strength at 50% and leave it there shaking occasionally
                (when ever I think of it) until I'm ready to do something with it either
                flavour or just drink, I get my the carbon from a homebrew supplier
                because of convenience but I'm sure you can get it cheaper off the net.
                Many people here use a cylinder set up with carbon in it and pass the
                alcohol through it but that's to much fiddling around for me.
                you need to get a copy of the E book "Activated carbon for the
                purification of Alcohol" by Gert Strand From Memory it is free if
                downloaded as a PDF.

                Dean.

                >Thanks for the advice. Any tips on filter design? Someone posted
                >earlier that it's not recommended to use PVC.
                >
                >I looked for activated charcoal in Home Depot last night with no luck.
                > where can that usually be found?
                >
                >How often should I rinse or change out the charcoal.

              • cheechz
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 17, 2005
                  i thought a copper filter system would be better than PVC, but i
                  have had a horrible time with it. i think i'm gonna give up on that
                  altogether. i've had blue end-product. even if its not blue i get
                  a higher copper content that you can taste, and i verified with a
                  copper test kit. i cant afford to do it in stainless, so i'm either
                  gonna go with PVC filter or just 'dump it in the container' method.
                  you can get carbon online from homebrew shops.. i have a local
                  supplier that makes it for water filtration in 55 lb bags.

                  jared

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Dean Thomas <deanlil@p...>
                  wrote:

                  > I usually just put 2 table spoons of carbon in the bottom of my
                  bottles
                  > with the alcohol strength at 50% and leave it there shaking
                  occasionally
                  > (when ever I think of it) until I'm ready to do something with it
                  either
                  > flavour or just drink, I get my the carbon from a homebrew
                  supplier
                  > because of convenience but I'm sure you can get it cheaper off the
                  net.
                  > Many people here use a cylinder set up with carbon in it and pass
                  the
                  > alcohol through it but that's to much fiddling around for me.
                  > you need to get a copy of the E book "Activated carbon for the
                  > purification of Alcohol" by Gert Strand From Memory it is free if
                  > downloaded as a PDF.
                  >
                  > Dean.
                  >

                  > >Thanks for the advice. Any tips on filter design? Someone posted
                  > >earlier that it's not recommended to use PVC.
                  > >
                  > >I looked for activated charcoal in Home Depot last night with no
                  luck.
                  > > where can that usually be found?
                  > >
                  > >How often should I rinse or change out the charcoal.

                • Brendan Keith
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 17, 2005
                    Glass is your friend. If you can find tubing, heat the end with a torch and
                    it will shrink. Stuff a cotton ball down it then top up with carbon. Pour
                    distillate in slowly.

                    With a little care, you could cut the bottom off a wine bottle, invert it
                    and use as described. Some already do that with plastic Coke bottles.

                    --
                    Brendan Keith
                    bkeith@...

                  • vodkaman1976
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 23, 2008
                      So would the genaral concensus be to charcoal filter your vodka or
                      just cut it and be happy with it? Will you taste a dramatic difference
                      after filtration or is it just a scam to get you too buy a $30
                      filtration unit from the brewhaus. If it is worth doing is there any
                      way or plans to build a filtration unit yourself without spending that
                      much money?
                    • KM Services
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 23, 2008

                        No Scam Mate,

                        Stripping and controlled slow reflux distillation with fine cuts followed by carbon filtering is essential to making good Vodka (AKA Neutral Spirit). Carbon filtering will remove the last of the off tastes and smells and polish (Smoothen) your spirit. You can add Glycerin at the rate of around 10mls per litre to further smoothen and give a nice mouth feel. You can buy a “Z” filter set up here in NZ for $NZ39 (see my set up) http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/EJHZSOFTuRuKSnVOo1kvM0Z9Xsz8SoNYXVqvgd0f9g4JIDIen1e1hTGoLHam-7MdKTjrec88elMFm0I9R2DdeY1Djy659HPbZA/Ken%20Mc./Z%20Filter.pdf

                        can be bought from these guys for about $US29 plus the lastest gear from NZ  http://webtrolley.org/mivastore/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=BaderBrewandWine&Category_Code=1198

                        or get hold of Gert Strands EBook on carbon http://www.partyman.se/free_ebook.html

                        there are plans on funnel and pipe designs you can make from stuff lying around

                        Cheers

                        Ken Mc

                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 23, 2008
                          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "vodkaman1976"
                          <vodkaman1976@...> wrote:

                          > So would the genaral concensus be to charcoal filter your vodka or
                          > just cut it and be happy with it? Will you taste a dramatic difference
                          > after filtration or is it just a scam to get you too buy a $30
                          > filtration unit from the brewhaus. If it is worth doing is there any
                          > way or plans to build a filtration unit yourself without spending that
                          > much money?

                          I agree with Ken on this, Carbon turns good spirits into better spirits.
                          I have used the stuff from Brewhaus but honestly The Aquarium
                          Pharmaceuticals stuff from Petco works just as good or better (no
                          offense Rick). I usually add a 1/4 cup per liter (of 50%) and let it
                          sit for a week and then filter it out or as I did this weekend Distill
                          it. You should also be paying attention to the Aeration
                          thread(Whiskey without Heads cut) on the Distillers list as well. I
                          honestly think that MAY help more than the Carbon. If you decide to
                          go with column style filtration The Z filter may be the way to go as a
                          copper tower would be costly to build.

                          Mason
                        • KM Services
                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 23, 2008

                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 24, 2008
                              Running your spirit through charcoal is a must, the improvement is
                              beyond belief. I have run some pretty ruff and foul spirit through my
                              system and produced a top notch product.

                              I use 3 water filter jugs with charcoal cartages that I got in
                              charity shops. I line them up and move the spirit down the line as
                              the jugs fill. The benefit of this system is you can sample the
                              spirit as you move it down the line.

                              From my sampling I would suggest that the cheapest commercial Vodka
                              past through one filter jug would be vastly improved, run it through
                              twice would be excellent.

                              The Pyro

                              <vodkaman1976@...> wrote:

                              > So would the genaral concensus be to charcoal filter your vodka
                              or
                              > just cut it and be happy with it? Will you taste a dramatic
                              difference
                              > after filtration or is it just a scam to get you too buy a $30
                              > filtration unit from the brewhaus. If it is worth doing is there any
                              > way or plans to build a filtration unit yourself without spending
                              that
                              > much money?

                            • bbr772
                              Message 14 of 15 , Sep 24, 2008
                                Could you possibly post photos or some other kind of outline? Or,
                                did I miss one on hd.org or the forum?