Steel Boilers and Deadly Poison

  • jessemull@home.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 8, 2001
      Hey there,
      I am a new distiller and I am beginning to build my own still.
      However, I have run into some problems trying to find a cheap
      boiler. One site on the net:
      http://www.generalcontainer.com/home.htm sells steel drums that are
      the right size. The description says "Made from Class I commercial
      quality, continous-cast carbon steel and tested with equipment
      utilizing the latest technology." I have been reading up on past
      messages and was concerned when I realized I could die from
      galvanized steel poisoning. My question is if the steel drum which
      is cheaper, would be alright as opposed to the stainless steel.
      Thanks.

      Jesse
    • G&N
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 8, 2001
        A Stainless Steel 50 litre beer keg is a good boiler but i wont say where to
        get one from!!

        > I am a new distiller and I am beginning to build my own still.
        > However, I have run into some problems trying to find a cheap
        > boiler. One site on the net:
        > http://www.generalcontainer.com/home.htm sells steel drums that are
        > the right size. The description says "Made from Class I commercial
        > quality, continous-cast carbon steel and tested with equipment
        > utilizing the latest technology." I have been reading up on past
        > messages and was concerned when I realized I could die from
        > galvanized steel poisoning. My question is if the steel drum which
        > is cheaper, would be alright as opposed to the stainless steel.
        > Thanks.
        >
        > Jesse

      • KEZ
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 8, 2001
          I purchased my ss keg at the local rubish tip shop for $20.

          Kez
          A Stainless Steel 50 litre beer keg is a good boiler but i wont say where to
          get one from!!

          > I am a new distiller and I am beginning to build my own still.
          > However, I have run into some problems trying to find a cheap
          > boiler.  One site on the net:
          > http://www.generalcontainer.com/home.htm sells steel drums that are
          > the right size.  The description says "Made from Class I commercial
          > quality, continous-cast carbon steel and tested with equipment
          > utilizing the latest technology."  I have been reading up on past
          > messages and was concerned when I realized I could die from
          > galvanized steel poisoning.  My question is if the steel drum which
          > is cheaper, would be alright as opposed to the stainless steel.
          > Thanks.
          >
          > Jesse

        • G&N
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 8, 2001
            Any hotel at night time would be a good place to get one too i recon!!!hehe

          • jessemull@home.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 8, 2001
              Actually I was more concerned with the idea of using "cast carbon
              steel." I don't want to produce a product that could be toxic and
              was wondering if the "cast carbon steel" would be harmful to use.

              > Any hotel at night time would be a good place to get one too i
              recon!!!hehe

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              Service.

              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor