unclear wash

  • Phillipa
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 7, 2001
      Greetings all,

      In the last few days the following comment was made in relation to a
      question.
      Q: Is it important to clear the wash before running it thru the still.
      A: So as not to be boiling yeast while you are stilling off and getting bad
      smells it is adviseable to allow your wash to clear, don't be in a hurry.

      I have been using turbo yeast with 9 kg dextrose fermented at 18-20 deg C
      and after a fortnight in the fermenter there is no sign of clearing so I
      have been running the wash though my 5l still. Should I wait longer for it
      to clear, use finings or not worry and just run the wash through the still?

      Cheers
      Phillipa
    • ups474@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 7, 2001
        try putting the mash in the freezer or the fridge- that tends to knock down
        any stubborn yeast that won't settle out- a week should do it. Jack
      • janpam ooms
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 7, 2001
          Hi Phillipa,
          Yes,it is better to clear the wash before distilling as you get a better end
          result.I personally always distill twice and then it is not so important to
          start with a clear wash,try it and the end result will speak for itself.
          Regards Jan