Re: Sucrose (sugar) or Dextrose?

  • peter_vcb
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 5, 2003
      my boiler is a 50l keg. i usually brew 60-65l sugar washes with 2
      turbos and about 18-20kg sugar. i then strip it in 2 runs of 30l to
      give about 20l @50% more or less. a while back i put 25l @ 60% in the
      keg and i am still distilling it every few weeks or so when i need
      it. it is advisable to strip the wash when using the PDA (or any
      column for that matter) both Mikes recommend this too. both Mikes
      also run slowly in the 550-700W range after stripping at 1500W, i run
      about 600W and draw off 400ml/hr. i spent about 6hrs bleeding off the
      heads very slowly but from then on in you turn the still on,
      stabilise for a while and draw off pure stuff straight away, since it
      is stripped there is no fear of the wash going off, i leave it for
      weeks at a time. that is what i love about saving up many stripped
      batches. i also dont have to open and close the boiler lid on each
      run or clean it out. i have no need for carbon and it is purer than
      any commercial vodka i have ever tasted. no smell whatsoever, it is
      like water, no hangovers either.

      Peter

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "dark_taet" <ndistillers@t...>
      wrote:
      > Just did my first full run with the PDA-1 a few hours ago...
      > Awesome unit.. But i would second Peters comments, i am running a
      > 1380W element and in my humble opinion its to much for the unit
      > unless you are stripping. Having said that it was my first full
      run
      > and i am more than happy to be proven wrong.
      >
      > Also i'd like to take the opportunity to say that the service from
      > Mike and Mike has just been amazing. Had a few issues but very
      > happy to say all resolved. If your worried about spending the
      money
      > as i was... relax, your in good hands.
      >
      > PS Peter how large is your boiler..?
      >
      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "peter_vcb"
      > <viciousblackout@y...> wrote:
      > > the homebrew guy wants you to buy dextrose as he probably makes
      > more
      > > money instead of you going to the supermarket! dextrose may make
      > > difference in beer or wine, did you tell him you are distilling.
      > you
      > > get a good column and make good cuts at low power you wont need
      > > carbon. if you are buying i would recommend the PDA from
      > www.amphora-
      > > society.com i have one and get amazingly pure 95-96% vodka from
      > it,
      > > run at low power though 550-700W
      > >
      > > Peter

    • waljaco
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 13, 2003
        Dextrose = glucose
        Yeast have an enzyme that splits/inverts sucrose (sugar) to glucose +
        fructose. Both are fermentable. Fructose is not wanted in beer making
        because it produces fruity flavors but distilling will or can strip
        these flavors.
        Wal

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, BOKAKOB <bokakob@y...> wrote:
        > From the point of view of the shop owner, the dextrose will yield
        smoother results ending up in HIS glass, not yours, because he can
        make more profit on it. I wonder, why people don't or can't
        understand, that once you have pure ethanol, it does not matter where
        it came from. Things like "flavor" "smoothness" "off-taste" are
        simple imperfections of distilling. In flavored beverages it is a
        desirable result, but for sugar or dextrose process it really does
        not matter. Use sugar, not dextrose for sugar based distillation.

        > The Ooz <theooz@h...> wrote:
        > I'm at the research phase of home distilling. The website is great,
        and I've read a lot there already.

        > The still that I'm thinking of purchasing is a reflux type. I've
        read on the website that sucrose should be fine as the reflux still
        will strip out any flavours, however the local brew store operator
        thinks I should use dextrose as it provides a smoother/better finish.