Re: Question on carbon filtering

  • tfurey7
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 5, 2003
      Sorry everyone I should have checked the archives before I posted
      this question. I got the answer I needed.

      Cheers
      Tim
    • rutger
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 5, 2003
        Then wat WAS the answer?

        Rutger
        > Sorry everyone I should have checked the archives before I posted
        > this question. I got the answer I needed.
        >
        > Cheers
        > Tim

      • BOKAKOB
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 5, 2003
          In my opinion it is easier just to drop loose carbon granules in 40%-50% abv jar and let it sit there for 3-4 days. Shaking it (the more the merrier) greatly benefit to the process. Filtering it later is a pain.

          Does the alcohol have to flow through the bag of activated carbon? or can the bag just sit in it and every once in a while shake it up? This is probably a really dumb question but any and all replies will be appreciated

          I can be wrong I must say
          Cheers, Alex...

        • tfurey7
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 5, 2003
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rutger" <rutgerr@z...> wrote:
            > Then wat WAS the answer?
            >
            > Rutger

            The carbon can just sit in the alcohol. The unwanted odors and
            flavors will be absorbed by it. To use someone elses analogy, it is
            like cooking food you put it in the oven for a little while turning
            it now and then to fully cook it. Just passing it through a filter
            once would be the equivalent of a one minute egg. Also the alcohol
            should be cut to 40-50% to achieve the best results.

            Cheers,
            Tim
          • vector180
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 5, 2003
              There are indeed many ways to filter for those of us that have too (Im
              working on a better rig all in good time:) I have spent some time
              makeing my current setup and process a litle easier. I have a temp alarm
              that goes off at 45degc. (its set there because it takes my boiler at
              least 1 hour to even budge then it rockets real quick.) the alarm goes
              off I wonder in and watch it stabilise (which is fairly quick once its
              at temp) and collect the foreshots. I then put a 2l glass flagon under
              the outlet and walk off. I know the approx time it takes to collect the
              first ~700ml. (allthough I once had an old kitchen scales with
              microswitch and buzzer to tell me) while its cooking I set up my filter
              (basicly a meter of verticle 40mm pipe with a tap on the bottom. I have
              filter elements to catch the carbon dust inside,just above the tap. I
              previously steam my carbon the day b4 so its clean and wet. Once
              collected I store the heads and tails for the next run. The middle I
              collect in the flagon to about 1.5L mark top up with water to another
              mark which I know gives me my 50% and up end the flagon into the pipe.
              The Pipe fills up and the bottle slowly empties itself because of the
              tap setting. it will take overnight to filter that bottle.

              some times I strip some times I dont. When I get my 50L boiler and colum
              working ill probably use the current one to just strip.

              tfurey7 wrote:

              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rutger" <rutgerr@z...> wrote:
              > > Then wat WAS the answer?
              > >
              > > Rutger
              >

              > The carbon can just sit in the alcohol. The unwanted odors and
              > flavors will be absorbed by it. To use someone elses analogy, it is
              > like cooking food you put it in the oven for a little while turning
              > it now and then to fully cook it. Just passing it through a filter
              > once would be the equivalent of a one minute egg. Also the alcohol
              > should be cut to 40-50% to achieve the best results.
              >
              > Cheers,
              > Tim
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
              > <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259395.3614674.4902533.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705041694:HM/A=1524963/R=0/SIG=12o885gmo/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/autoredir?camp=556&lineid=3614674&prop=egroupweb&pos=HM>

              > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.
            • The Ooz
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 5, 2003
                I'm looking at a starter kit, and it seems that a 'z' filter is recommended?

                Is this a good option, or an expensive option that favours the seller?

                Ooz

                >The carbon can just sit in the alcohol. The unwanted odors and
                >flavors will be absorbed by it. To use someone elses analogy, it is
                >like cooking food you put it in the oven for a little while turning
                >it now and then to fully cook it. Just passing it through a filter
                >once would be the equivalent of a one minute egg. Also the alcohol
                >should be cut to 40-50% to achieve the best results.
                >
                >Cheers,
                >Tim

                >FAQ and other information available at http://homedistiller.org

              • vector180
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 5, 2003
                  Most seem to like it, I didnt.
                  I had troube with air locks, getting wet carbon in and out of it and
                  cleaning.I think i was unlucky to get one that always leaked from the
                  screw tops too. It attaches to a bucket with a tap. the problem is the
                  tap is an inch off the bottom of the bucket so there is an inch of
                  alchol left in the bucket unprocessed. Ok if your producing lots.or you
                  tip the bucket etc IMO bad design.

                  --

                  Urendi Maleldil !.....Mark
                  mark.symonds@...