Question on carbon filtering

  • tfurey7
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 5, 2003
      Does the alcohol have to flow through the bag of activated carbon? or
      can the bag just sit in it and every once in a while shake it up?

      This is probably a really dumb question but any and all replies will
      be appreciated
    • tfurey7
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 5, 2003
        Sorry everyone I should have checked the archives before I posted
        this question. I got the answer I needed.

        Cheers
        Tim
      • rutger
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 5, 2003
          Then wat WAS the answer?

          Rutger
          > Sorry everyone I should have checked the archives before I posted
          > this question. I got the answer I needed.
          >
          > Cheers
          > Tim

        • BOKAKOB
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 5, 2003
            In my opinion it is easier just to drop loose carbon granules in 40%-50% abv jar and let it sit there for 3-4 days. Shaking it (the more the merrier) greatly benefit to the process. Filtering it later is a pain.

            Does the alcohol have to flow through the bag of activated carbon? or can the bag just sit in it and every once in a while shake it up? This is probably a really dumb question but any and all replies will be appreciated

            I can be wrong I must say
            Cheers, Alex...

          • tfurey7
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 5, 2003
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rutger" <rutgerr@z...> wrote:
              > Then wat WAS the answer?
              >
              > Rutger

              The carbon can just sit in the alcohol. The unwanted odors and
              flavors will be absorbed by it. To use someone elses analogy, it is
              like cooking food you put it in the oven for a little while turning
              it now and then to fully cook it. Just passing it through a filter
              once would be the equivalent of a one minute egg. Also the alcohol
              should be cut to 40-50% to achieve the best results.

              Cheers,
              Tim
            • vector180
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 5, 2003
                There are indeed many ways to filter for those of us that have too (Im
                working on a better rig all in good time:) I have spent some time
                makeing my current setup and process a litle easier. I have a temp alarm
                that goes off at 45degc. (its set there because it takes my boiler at
                least 1 hour to even budge then it rockets real quick.) the alarm goes
                off I wonder in and watch it stabilise (which is fairly quick once its
                at temp) and collect the foreshots. I then put a 2l glass flagon under
                the outlet and walk off. I know the approx time it takes to collect the
                first ~700ml. (allthough I once had an old kitchen scales with
                microswitch and buzzer to tell me) while its cooking I set up my filter
                (basicly a meter of verticle 40mm pipe with a tap on the bottom. I have
                filter elements to catch the carbon dust inside,just above the tap. I
                previously steam my carbon the day b4 so its clean and wet. Once
                collected I store the heads and tails for the next run. The middle I
                collect in the flagon to about 1.5L mark top up with water to another
                mark which I know gives me my 50% and up end the flagon into the pipe.
                The Pipe fills up and the bottle slowly empties itself because of the
                tap setting. it will take overnight to filter that bottle.

                some times I strip some times I dont. When I get my 50L boiler and colum
                working ill probably use the current one to just strip.

                tfurey7 wrote:

                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rutger" <rutgerr@z...> wrote:
                > > Then wat WAS the answer?
                > >
                > > Rutger
                >

                > The carbon can just sit in the alcohol. The unwanted odors and
                > flavors will be absorbed by it. To use someone elses analogy, it is
                > like cooking food you put it in the oven for a little while turning
                > it now and then to fully cook it. Just passing it through a filter
                > once would be the equivalent of a one minute egg. Also the alcohol
                > should be cut to 40-50% to achieve the best results.
                >
                > Cheers,
                > Tim
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                > <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259395.3614674.4902533.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705041694:HM/A=1524963/R=0/SIG=12o885gmo/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/autoredir?camp=556&lineid=3614674&prop=egroupweb&pos=HM>

                > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.
              • The Ooz
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 5, 2003
                  I'm looking at a starter kit, and it seems that a 'z' filter is recommended?

                  Is this a good option, or an expensive option that favours the seller?

                  Ooz

                  >The carbon can just sit in the alcohol. The unwanted odors and
                  >flavors will be absorbed by it. To use someone elses analogy, it is
                  >like cooking food you put it in the oven for a little while turning
                  >it now and then to fully cook it. Just passing it through a filter
                  >once would be the equivalent of a one minute egg. Also the alcohol
                  >should be cut to 40-50% to achieve the best results.
                  >
                  >Cheers,
                  >Tim

                  >FAQ and other information available at http://homedistiller.org

                • vector180
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 5, 2003
                    Most seem to like it, I didnt.
                    I had troube with air locks, getting wet carbon in and out of it and
                    cleaning.I think i was unlucky to get one that always leaked from the
                    screw tops too. It attaches to a bucket with a tap. the problem is the
                    tap is an inch off the bottom of the bucket so there is an inch of
                    alchol left in the bucket unprocessed. Ok if your producing lots.or you
                    tip the bucket etc IMO bad design.

                    --

                    Urendi Maleldil !.....Mark
                    mark.symonds@...