Re: Sucrose (sugar) or Dextrose?

  • dark_taet
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 5, 2003
      Just did my first full run with the PDA-1 a few hours ago...
      Awesome unit.. But i would second Peters comments, i am running a
      1380W element and in my humble opinion its to much for the unit
      unless you are stripping. Having said that it was my first full run
      and i am more than happy to be proven wrong.

      Also i'd like to take the opportunity to say that the service from
      Mike and Mike has just been amazing. Had a few issues but very
      happy to say all resolved. If your worried about spending the money
      as i was... relax, your in good hands.

      PS Peter how large is your boiler..?

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "peter_vcb"
      <viciousblackout@y...> wrote:
      > the homebrew guy wants you to buy dextrose as he probably makes
      more
      > money instead of you going to the supermarket! dextrose may make a
      > difference in beer or wine, did you tell him you are distilling.
      you
      > get a good column and make good cuts at low power you wont need
      > carbon. if you are buying i would recommend the PDA from
      www.amphora-
      > society.com i have one and get amazingly pure 95-96% vodka from
      it,
      > run at low power though 550-700W
      >
      > Peter

    • BOKAKOB
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 5, 2003
        From the point of view of the shop owner, the dextrose will yield smoother results ending up in HIS glass, not yours, because he can make more profit on it. I wonder, why people don't or can't understand, that once you have pure ethanol, it does not matter where it came from. Things like "flavor" "smoothness" "off-taste" are simple imperfections of distilling. In flavored beverages it is a desirable result, but for sugar or dextrose process it really does not matter. Use sugar, not dextrose for sugar based distillation.

        The Ooz <theooz@...> wrote:
        I'm at the research phase of home distilling. The website is great, and I've read a lot there already.

        The still that I'm thinking of purchasing is a reflux type. I've read on the website that sucrose should be fine as the reflux still will strip out any flavours, however the local brew store operator thinks I should use dextrose as it provides a smoother/better finish.
        Can anyone tell me which will give the best result?
        Ooz

        I can be wrong I must say
        Cheers, Alex...

      • Johan
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 5, 2003
          I've used dextrose many times because it was easier to buy without
          anyone wondering what I'll use the sugar for.
          And they say the same thing over here; that it is better quality. But
          that simply isn't true. The difference isn't much or nothing.
          The good thing with dextrose is that it dissolves easy in water (be
          aware that temperature drops a lot when it dissolves)
          The bad thing is that you need 10% more sugar to get the same amount of
          sugar as with saccharose and it's more expensive to begin with.

          Johan

          I'm at the research phase of home distilling. The website is great, and
          I've
          read a lot there already.

          The still that I'm thinking of purchasing is a reflux type. I've read on
          the
          website that sucrose should be fine as the reflux still will strip out
          any
          flavours, however the local brew store operator thinks I should use
          dextrose
          as it provides a smoother/better finish.

          Can anyone tell me which will give the best result?

          Ooz

          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • peter_vcb
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 5, 2003
            my boiler is a 50l keg. i usually brew 60-65l sugar washes with 2
            turbos and about 18-20kg sugar. i then strip it in 2 runs of 30l to
            give about 20l @50% more or less. a while back i put 25l @ 60% in the
            keg and i am still distilling it every few weeks or so when i need
            it. it is advisable to strip the wash when using the PDA (or any
            column for that matter) both Mikes recommend this too. both Mikes
            also run slowly in the 550-700W range after stripping at 1500W, i run
            about 600W and draw off 400ml/hr. i spent about 6hrs bleeding off the
            heads very slowly but from then on in you turn the still on,
            stabilise for a while and draw off pure stuff straight away, since it
            is stripped there is no fear of the wash going off, i leave it for
            weeks at a time. that is what i love about saving up many stripped
            batches. i also dont have to open and close the boiler lid on each
            run or clean it out. i have no need for carbon and it is purer than
            any commercial vodka i have ever tasted. no smell whatsoever, it is
            like water, no hangovers either.

            Peter

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "dark_taet" <ndistillers@t...>
            wrote:
            > Just did my first full run with the PDA-1 a few hours ago...
            > Awesome unit.. But i would second Peters comments, i am running a
            > 1380W element and in my humble opinion its to much for the unit
            > unless you are stripping. Having said that it was my first full
            run
            > and i am more than happy to be proven wrong.
            >
            > Also i'd like to take the opportunity to say that the service from
            > Mike and Mike has just been amazing. Had a few issues but very
            > happy to say all resolved. If your worried about spending the
            money
            > as i was... relax, your in good hands.
            >
            > PS Peter how large is your boiler..?
            >
            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "peter_vcb"
            > <viciousblackout@y...> wrote:
            > > the homebrew guy wants you to buy dextrose as he probably makes
            > more
            > > money instead of you going to the supermarket! dextrose may make
            > > difference in beer or wine, did you tell him you are distilling.
            > you
            > > get a good column and make good cuts at low power you wont need
            > > carbon. if you are buying i would recommend the PDA from
            > www.amphora-
            > > society.com i have one and get amazingly pure 95-96% vodka from
            > it,
            > > run at low power though 550-700W
            > >
            > > Peter

          • waljaco
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 13, 2003
              Dextrose = glucose
              Yeast have an enzyme that splits/inverts sucrose (sugar) to glucose +
              fructose. Both are fermentable. Fructose is not wanted in beer making
              because it produces fruity flavors but distilling will or can strip
              these flavors.
              Wal

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, BOKAKOB <bokakob@y...> wrote:
              > From the point of view of the shop owner, the dextrose will yield
              smoother results ending up in HIS glass, not yours, because he can
              make more profit on it. I wonder, why people don't or can't
              understand, that once you have pure ethanol, it does not matter where
              it came from. Things like "flavor" "smoothness" "off-taste" are
              simple imperfections of distilling. In flavored beverages it is a
              desirable result, but for sugar or dextrose process it really does
              not matter. Use sugar, not dextrose for sugar based distillation.