Sucrose (sugar) or Dextrose?

  • The Ooz
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 4, 2003
      I'm at the research phase of home distilling. The website is great, and I've
      read a lot there already.

      The still that I'm thinking of purchasing is a reflux type. I've read on the
      website that sucrose should be fine as the reflux still will strip out any
      flavours, however the local brew store operator thinks I should use dextrose
      as it provides a smoother/better finish.

      Can anyone tell me which will give the best result?

      Ooz

    • vector180
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 4, 2003
        I run a still spirits super reflux and while it dosnt make the 90%+
        stuff that most on here talk about it was an imeadiately up running
        setup and still produces good results at ~88%+. However its not as pure
        and indeed you have to watch for heads, middle and tales more closely. I
        use a sugar turbo wash which helps with the purity issues as a real mash
        might produce other undesireables which taint its ability to produce
        clean results. As far as dextrose, which I used at the begining, goes
        the only diff I found was that it fermented a little quicker. It might
        taste a little diferent but I didnt notice and by the time i added
        essences who cared. However YOU must PAY the carbon filter man. Ie you
        must filter it. slow filtering (12hours for 2 L) min IMHO. I also noted
        that with dextrose I had to keep the big bag of it somewhere dry etc and
        then had to weigh it out. sugar!! easy local store in 3kg bags buy two
        bags and drop it in mix done. use boiling water from the kettle and it
        dissloves easy enough. top up with tap water, wait till its cool enough
        for the yeast and done. No measuring , no getting dextrose all over the
        place.

        hope it helps

        The Ooz wrote:

        > I'm at the research phase of home distilling. The website is great, and
        > I've
        > read a lot there already.
        >
        > The still that I'm thinking of purchasing is a reflux type. I've read on
        > the
        > website that sucrose should be fine as the reflux still will strip out any
        > flavours, however the local brew store operator thinks I should use
        > dextrose
        > as it provides a smoother/better finish.
        >
        > Can anyone tell me which will give the best result?
        >
        > Ooz

        > Hot chart ringtones and polyphonics. Go to
        > http://ninemsn.com.au/mobilemania/default.asp
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        > <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259395.3614674.4902533.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705041694:HM/A=1524963/R=0/SIG=12o885gmo/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/autoredir?camp=556&lineid=3614674&prop=egroupweb&pos=HM>

        > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.
      • peter_vcb
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 5, 2003
          the homebrew guy wants you to buy dextrose as he probably makes more
          money instead of you going to the supermarket! dextrose may make a
          difference in beer or wine, did you tell him you are distilling. you
          get a good column and make good cuts at low power you wont need
          carbon. if you are buying i would recommend the PDA from www.amphora-
          society.com i have one and get amazingly pure 95-96% vodka from it,
          run at low power though 550-700W

          Peter

          > > I'm at the research phase of home distilling. The website is
          great, and
          > > I've
          > > read a lot there already.
          > >
          > > The still that I'm thinking of purchasing is a reflux type. I've
          read on
          > > the
          > > website that sucrose should be fine as the reflux still will
          strip out any
          > > flavours, however the local brew store operator thinks I should
          use
          > > dextrose
          > > as it provides a smoother/better finish.
          > >
          > > Can anyone tell me which will give the best result?
          > >
          > > Ooz

        • dark_taet
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 5, 2003
            Just did my first full run with the PDA-1 a few hours ago...
            Awesome unit.. But i would second Peters comments, i am running a
            1380W element and in my humble opinion its to much for the unit
            unless you are stripping. Having said that it was my first full run
            and i am more than happy to be proven wrong.

            Also i'd like to take the opportunity to say that the service from
            Mike and Mike has just been amazing. Had a few issues but very
            happy to say all resolved. If your worried about spending the money
            as i was... relax, your in good hands.

            PS Peter how large is your boiler..?

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "peter_vcb"
            <viciousblackout@y...> wrote:
            > the homebrew guy wants you to buy dextrose as he probably makes
            more
            > money instead of you going to the supermarket! dextrose may make a
            > difference in beer or wine, did you tell him you are distilling.
            you
            > get a good column and make good cuts at low power you wont need
            > carbon. if you are buying i would recommend the PDA from
            www.amphora-
            > society.com i have one and get amazingly pure 95-96% vodka from
            it,
            > run at low power though 550-700W
            >
            > Peter

          • BOKAKOB
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 5, 2003
              From the point of view of the shop owner, the dextrose will yield smoother results ending up in HIS glass, not yours, because he can make more profit on it. I wonder, why people don't or can't understand, that once you have pure ethanol, it does not matter where it came from. Things like "flavor" "smoothness" "off-taste" are simple imperfections of distilling. In flavored beverages it is a desirable result, but for sugar or dextrose process it really does not matter. Use sugar, not dextrose for sugar based distillation.

              The Ooz <theooz@...> wrote:
              I'm at the research phase of home distilling. The website is great, and I've read a lot there already.

              The still that I'm thinking of purchasing is a reflux type. I've read on the website that sucrose should be fine as the reflux still will strip out any flavours, however the local brew store operator thinks I should use dextrose as it provides a smoother/better finish.
              Can anyone tell me which will give the best result?
              Ooz

              I can be wrong I must say
              Cheers, Alex...

            • Johan
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 5, 2003
                I've used dextrose many times because it was easier to buy without
                anyone wondering what I'll use the sugar for.
                And they say the same thing over here; that it is better quality. But
                that simply isn't true. The difference isn't much or nothing.
                The good thing with dextrose is that it dissolves easy in water (be
                aware that temperature drops a lot when it dissolves)
                The bad thing is that you need 10% more sugar to get the same amount of
                sugar as with saccharose and it's more expensive to begin with.

                Johan

                I'm at the research phase of home distilling. The website is great, and
                I've
                read a lot there already.

                The still that I'm thinking of purchasing is a reflux type. I've read on
                the
                website that sucrose should be fine as the reflux still will strip out
                any
                flavours, however the local brew store operator thinks I should use
                dextrose
                as it provides a smoother/better finish.

                Can anyone tell me which will give the best result?

                Ooz

                Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 5, 2003
                  my boiler is a 50l keg. i usually brew 60-65l sugar washes with 2
                  turbos and about 18-20kg sugar. i then strip it in 2 runs of 30l to
                  give about 20l @50% more or less. a while back i put 25l @ 60% in the
                  keg and i am still distilling it every few weeks or so when i need
                  it. it is advisable to strip the wash when using the PDA (or any
                  column for that matter) both Mikes recommend this too. both Mikes
                  also run slowly in the 550-700W range after stripping at 1500W, i run
                  about 600W and draw off 400ml/hr. i spent about 6hrs bleeding off the
                  heads very slowly but from then on in you turn the still on,
                  stabilise for a while and draw off pure stuff straight away, since it
                  is stripped there is no fear of the wash going off, i leave it for
                  weeks at a time. that is what i love about saving up many stripped
                  batches. i also dont have to open and close the boiler lid on each
                  run or clean it out. i have no need for carbon and it is purer than
                  any commercial vodka i have ever tasted. no smell whatsoever, it is
                  like water, no hangovers either.

                  Peter

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "dark_taet" <ndistillers@t...>
                  wrote:
                  > Just did my first full run with the PDA-1 a few hours ago...
                  > Awesome unit.. But i would second Peters comments, i am running a
                  > 1380W element and in my humble opinion its to much for the unit
                  > unless you are stripping. Having said that it was my first full
                  run
                  > and i am more than happy to be proven wrong.
                  >
                  > Also i'd like to take the opportunity to say that the service from
                  > Mike and Mike has just been amazing. Had a few issues but very
                  > happy to say all resolved. If your worried about spending the
                  money
                  > as i was... relax, your in good hands.
                  >
                  > PS Peter how large is your boiler..?
                  >
                  > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "peter_vcb"
                  > <viciousblackout@y...> wrote:
                  > > the homebrew guy wants you to buy dextrose as he probably makes
                  > more
                  > > money instead of you going to the supermarket! dextrose may make
                  > > difference in beer or wine, did you tell him you are distilling.
                  > you
                  > > get a good column and make good cuts at low power you wont need
                  > > carbon. if you are buying i would recommend the PDA from
                  > www.amphora-
                  > > society.com i have one and get amazingly pure 95-96% vodka from
                  > it,
                  > > run at low power though 550-700W
                  > >
                  > > Peter

                • waljaco
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 13, 2003
                    Dextrose = glucose
                    Yeast have an enzyme that splits/inverts sucrose (sugar) to glucose +
                    fructose. Both are fermentable. Fructose is not wanted in beer making
                    because it produces fruity flavors but distilling will or can strip
                    these flavors.
                    Wal

                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, BOKAKOB <bokakob@y...> wrote:
                    > From the point of view of the shop owner, the dextrose will yield
                    smoother results ending up in HIS glass, not yours, because he can
                    make more profit on it. I wonder, why people don't or can't
                    understand, that once you have pure ethanol, it does not matter where
                    it came from. Things like "flavor" "smoothness" "off-taste" are
                    simple imperfections of distilling. In flavored beverages it is a
                    desirable result, but for sugar or dextrose process it really does
                    not matter. Use sugar, not dextrose for sugar based distillation.