Turbo Smell

  • gatesbox
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4, 2003
      The question: Will charcoal filtering eliminate slight odors from
      my distillate? The smell is simillar to the original turbo wash,
      but the turbo stuff smells a bit funny. The results otherwise were
      great, tastes clean and a bit sweet. I started with a high %alc
      wash, I waited for the high 20% and think I achieved it. Out of
      about 10qt I collected 1.75L of about 68%alc. I tossed quite a bit
      of heads/foreshots with the first 200 ml. This may cause you to
      cringe but I want to make sure that this first run is absolutely
      safe.

      The equipment: I finally finished my original concept of a clamped
      down stock pot with a nice tight seal using flexible tubing and
      attached a barbed plumbing fixture to which I attached 3/8" PE (home
      food grade) tubing on the lid. I ran about 20L of very hot water
      through the tubing before use. I did have left over odors from the
      wash but absolutely no PE smell or taste. It was cheap and I think
      including the pot and thermometer cost me just over 20 US. I ran it
      slow on a hot plate and was suprised to be pulling out 70% alc
      throughout most of the run ending when the % dropped a bit. and
      throwing the rest of the run back into the wash for the next of what
      will likely be two more runs through the little guy.

      Thanks for all of the help in starting off, the reflux still is in
      the works but I was impressed and will never forget my first time
      with this petite little still.

      Thanks again,

      Al