Re: [new_distillers] Re: Stills

  • Derek Hamlet
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 3, 2003
      This seems bizare. If one is not into making a still where is the
      economics of spending that kind of money to be able to make your own vodka.
      That's about 200 bottles of vodka. The math just isn't there.
      I have to confess that I have not yet bought my copper tubing etc., but,
      the designs do not seem particularly onerous.
      Is there some way we can nicely ask this person to give their head a shake.

      What does vodka cost for a 750 ml bottle. $20.At 07:00 PM 11/3/03, you wrote:
      >Thats a lot of dough for a still. Why not build you own 15 gal from
      >a keg for a lot less? You can achieve the same results.
      >

      >--- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "fatdog662003" <ncarbone@p...>
      >wrote:
      > > I am considering buying the 50 gal column still from Revenoor
      > > <http://www.revenoor.com>http://www.revenoor.com to make premium
      > quality vodka. I have done
      > > some research on the stills available at this size and this one
      > > seems to be the best value.
      > >
      > > Has anyone had experience with these or can share any other
      > > manaufacturers I might have missed? This still is about $4k US.
      > >
      > > Nick
      >

      >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      ><http://rd.yahoo.com/M=267637.4116730.5333196.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705041694:HM/A=1754451/R=0/SIG=11tm86fb5/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60178323&partid=4116730>
      >click here
      >
      >[]

      >New Distillers group archives are at
      ><http://archive.nnytech.net/>http://archive.nnytech.net/
      >FAQ and other information available at
      ><http://homedistiller.org>http://homedistiller.org

      Regards
      Derek Hamlet
      Victoria, B. C.
      592-8590
    • peter_vcb
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 4, 2003
        their prices are ridiculous. are you starting a commercial setup or
        something? i have the pda from www.amphora-society.com and it makes
        absolutely perfect vodka but not on a large scale. they are planning
        a larger version for the thirsty among us ;-)

        Peter

        wrote:
        > I am considering buying the 50 gal column still from Revenoor
        > http://www.revenoor.com to make premium quality vodka. I have done
        > some research on the stills available at this size and this one
        > seems to be the best value.
        >
        > Has anyone had experience with these or can share any other
        > manaufacturers I might have missed? This still is about $4k US.
        >
        > Nick
      • Nick Carbone
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 4, 2003
          I probably should have clarified I am starting a commercial operation so
          I do need the capacity. But I probably do still need a head shake for
          what I am about to do. Any other advice is welcome. I already know
          “Don’t get high on your own supply” I am in touch with Mike at
          Amphora and he is looking at my needs.

          Thanks for replies!

          Nick

          wrote:
          > I am considering buying the 50 gal column still from Revenoor
          > http://www.revenoor.com to make premium quality vodka. I have done
          > some research on the stills available at this size and this one
          > seems to be the best value.
          >
          > Has anyone had experience with these or can share any other
          > manaufacturers I might have missed? This still is about $4k US.
          >
          > Nick

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259395.3614674.4902533.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705
          041694:HM/A=1524963/R=0/SIG=12o885gmo/*http:/hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/aut
          oredir?camp=556&lineid=3614674∝=egroupweb&pos=HM>

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=259395.3614674.4902533.1261774/D=egrou
          pmail/S=:HM/A=1524963/rand=466096567>

        • DL
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 8, 2010
            I have a question that may be an ignorant one. I was under the impression that several companies produce an economical (electric)stainless steel super reflux still for use in places like New Zealand. I am also confident they have a 110 version and will ship it internationally in different boxes. Wouldn't it take less time, and perhaps less money, to import one of these rather than attempt to build one?
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 9, 2010
              DL,

              Well you can go out and buy The Super Wiz-bang stainless steel reflux
              still, take it right out of the box and plug it in. Then get some 48
              hour 20% Whatchamadoodle Turbo yeast, add some sugar and water, ferment
              it and thow it in you Wiz-bang still.

              Volia, your a "Compleat Distiller" and thats all you will ever need to
              make hootch!!!

              Or, you start reading and learning about the theories of still design,
              buy some copper and waste all that time putting it together, only to
              find out it wasn't quite the right diameter or height and the condenser
              was too small. So you waste your time reading some more, waste more
              money to buy more copper and keep doing this till you have a design your
              satisfied with and maybe some modifications you think makes it better
              then the Wiz-bang still you saw advertized.

              If the first scenario is where your comming from DL, then im afraid you
              will be missing 99.9 % of the fun and self-satisfaction of this hobby!!!
              Not to mention theres absolutely no reason for you to waste your time
              here, reading about Riku's great tips on still design or Harry's cross
              flow head or Mason's MUM wash or, or, or.... These people did not gain
              all that knowlege from just going out and buying a pre-made still and a
              packet of Turbo yeast my friend.

              Vino es Veritas,

              Jim aka Waldo.

              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 9, 2010
                Just to prove my point a little bit more DL, I want you to answer this
                question:

                What material is better for making a boiler and a reflux column and why
                - what are the advantages and disadvantages to each one - Stainless
                Steel, Aluminum, Brass or Copper???

                JB.

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1" <jamesonbeam1@...>
                wrote:

                > DL,
                >
                > Well you can go out and buy The Super Wiz-bang stainless steel reflux
                still, take it right out of the box and plug it in. Then get some 48
                hour 20% Whatchamadoodle Turbo yeast, add some sugar and water, ferment
                it and thow it in you Wiz-bang still.

                > Volia, your a "Compleat Distiller" and thats all you will ever need to
                make hootch!!!

                > Or, you start reading and learning about the theories of still design,
                buy some copper and waste all that time putting it together

                ____snip
              • Mel
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 9, 2010
                  To each his own. If you want to make it a hobby that's fine if he wants an
                  off the shelf unit that should be fine too.

                  Sam
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 9, 2010
                    Of course Sam,

                    Its perfectly fine to buy a still. But if you re-read his question, he
                    was asking why waste all that time and money building a still, when you
                    can buy a cheap stainless steel one. If he had asked where to buy a
                    stainless steel still, I would have told him to try Brewhaus and check
                    out one of theirs instead of trying to import it from New Zeland. Sorry
                    if it came out wrong.

                    Vino es Veritas,

                    Jim aka Waldo.

                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Mel" <robinson4724@...> wrote:

                    > To each his own. If you want to make it a hobby that's fine if he
                    wants an
                    > off the shelf unit that should be fine too.
                    >
                    > Sam

                  • triddlywinks
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 9, 2010
                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "DL" <teacher4nz@...> wrote:

                      > I have a question that may be an ignorant one. I was under the impression that several companies produce an economical (electric)stainless steel super reflux still for use in places like New Zealand. I am also confident they have a 110 version and will ship it internationally in different boxes. Wouldn't it take less time, and perhaps less money, to import one of these rather than attempt to build one?

                      Less time? Maybe, maybe not.
                      If you're not inclined to fabricate due to either skills or facilities, then by all means purchase one and be happy. There's no reason not to support the business people who cater to our hobby.

                      Less money? Maybe, maybe not.
                      If you're starting from absolute zero (no tools, no hardware, no material, etc.) then it would cost a lot to assemble every item needed to construct one. On top of that, if you're not experienced in using them, there's the time to learn and potential wasted materials and consumable items from the learning period.

                      On the other hand, if you are one of those who likes to make things and have some of the tools and material already on hand, or at least know of some ready sources, then it's likely that you're going to not only get it cheaper, but quicker and with the satisfaction that you made it yourself.

                      I, for example, have likely spent far more money over the years building and experimenting than if I'd simply purchased a rig. For me, however, the joy isn't in the distilling alone. I love building things, experimenting, and tinkering. No off-the-shelf item (stills or otherwise) affords that amount of enjoyment. But then, that's just me and I can't presume everybody's going to be just like me, either.

                      Do what makes you comfortable and gets the results you're after. If still building ain't your thing, there are definitely people out there who can provide a well built rig that will suit your purposes. You get to explore the hobby on your terms and you're supporting entrepreneurs who are helping to ouftfit people who need their help.

                      Trid
                      -the long way of saying "there's no one answer to that question"
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 9, 2010

                        Thank you Trid,

                        A much better explanation then I tried to give ;).

                        JB.

                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "triddlywinks" <triddlywinks@...> wrote:

                        > Less time? Maybe, maybe not.
                        > If you're not inclined to fabricate due to either skills or facilities, then by all means purchase one and be happy. There's no reason not to support the business people who cater to our hobby.
                        >
                        > Less money? Maybe, maybe not.
                        > If you're starting from absolute zero (no tools, no hardware, no material, etc.) then it would cost a lot to assemble every item needed to construct one. On top of that, if you're not experienced in using them, there's the time to learn and potential wasted materials and consumable items from the learning period.

                        __snip