Re: a few questions

  • pilch@tpg.com.au
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 6, 2001
      --- In new_distillers@y..., jonoandjo@s... wrote:
      > hi all - just joined up. looks like a great group , with plenty
      > of good advice from knowlagble people.
      > i have been using a 5L euro reflux still for about a month
      now ,
      > and have been pretty happy with the results but havent been able to
      > get anything above 85%.
      Thats about all you will get from this little work horse but with a
      very simple mod you can take her up to 95%. If you are interested in
      the mods give me a holla.
      I have just finished building a fractionating
      > still as described by John Stone in his book Making Gin & Vodka. If
      > get the results he indicates ie. 95% , will I still need to put the
      > spirit on carbon or will it be clean enough to drink as is.
      Make carbon your best friend and you will never have any problems.
      I have done a few experiments in this field and believe me when I say
      there is definatly a head ache and hangover in every bottle that is
      not carbon treated. When carbon treated you only get pissed without
      the after effects .

      > Is there an optimum temp to have the wash heated to in the
      still
      > or just boil it flat out.
      > Is it important to clear the wash before running it thru the
      > still.
      So as not to be boiling yeast while you are stilling off and getting
      bad smells it is adviseable to allow your wash to clear, don't be in
      a hurry.
      I have been putting finings in and leaving 2 days before