Re: [new_distillers] Re: power source

  • Mike Nixon
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 3, 2003
      rakolam wrote:
      Subject: [new_distillers] Re: power source

      Mike,
      I completely agree. I too did the clock thing when I was a kid..
      one of the all mechanical ones with the two bells on top with a
      striker in the middle. I got the backing off, and *SPROING*... the
      parts suddenly lept out of the casing. Oops. From then on it was
      electronic clocks only, and then only until I found out what a 555
      timer IC was. (snip)
      ===========================
      Those were the days! :-) We were allowed to climb trees then too without
      some PC idiot telling us it was 'too dangerous'.

      Good luck with your project. Just think, if it works then you can have a
      side order of fries with your booze! :-)

      Mike N
    • Alexander-James Corbin Rauwsen III
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 4, 2003
        > I completely agree. I too did the clock thing when I was a kid..
        > one of the all mechanical ones with the two bells on top with a
        > striker in the middle. I got the backing off, and *SPROING*... the
        > parts suddenly lept out of the casing. Oops.
        The secret to getting clocks and watches apart with out the parts
        flying all over the place is to let the mainspring down before you
        take any screws out of the bridges. The second largest problem is
        cheap clocks and watches use a single plate to hold all the wheels and
        escapment together more expensive ones use seperate plates (bridges)
        for the train, balance, escapement, mainspring. If you dont know what
        any of this means is best to leave your broken clock broken but complete.
        Im working on still #2 the small carbonator tank (4 USG) worked great
        but Im looking to bigger and more high tech. A friend left me 2 old
        stainless firestone 15.5 USG kegs over the weekend the kind with a
        hole in the side and top. the thing that really caught me was the
        keyhole shaped bulge in the bottom perfect for fitting a heating
        element into fron the side. I threaded a piece of stainless pipe to
        take a water heater element planning to weld it in the side tomorrow.
        For control I picked up a really cool foxboro temp controller takes
        RTD in, on off control out, multiple set points ect...
        Ive been lurking for awhile but the weather is getting cold and that
        means time to work on things around the house where its warm.
        Laterz
        AJ