power source

  • rakolam
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 3, 2003
      Hi all,

      I want to use a heating element rather than an external power
      source. After looking at the price of a plug style heating coil and
      knowing I'd then have to put together a controller, I had an idea.
      I've got a fryer I bought awhile back that I pretty much never use.
      This is the model:

      /B000070IBU/qid=1067890202/sr=8-4/ref=sr_8_4/104-6974883-6092736?
      v=glance&s=kitchen&n=507846

      It's 1700 watts, with variable temperature control and automatic
      shutoff. It seems ideal to me. The only thing that will take some
      doing is creating a seal around the incoming leads (not sure if I
      should be soldering to these). Also after I take it apart I'm going
      to figure out some sort of quick-release method of removing the
      controller from the element (it's all one piece, and will have to
      come apart anyway to install into a keg.)

      My question is, can anyone see anything glaringly wrong with this
      idea? Has anyone tried it before? I figured I'd ask before I
      started pulling apart the element from the brain.

      Thanks,
      Dave
    • Mike Nixon
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 3, 2003
        rakolam wrote:
        Subject: [new_distillers] power source

[...]

        ======================
        Such friers can be used as boilers Dave (I use one as a water bath, and it
        serves very well in that role), but I would caution about pulling it apart
        to use components in a keg unless you have a good deal of experience in
        matters electrical and mechanical. I see that it utilises an oil immersed
        heater element, and this is likely to present considerable difficulties in
        removing the 'working parts' as the oil bath is probably an integral part of
        the structure of the beast. So while there is nothing 'glaringly wrong'
        with your idea, it is not something that should be undertaken without a good
        deal of knowledge about the construction of the beast .. a lesson I never
        seemed to learn when when I was a kid intent on pulling clocks apart to see
        how they work. They come apart fine ... the trick is getting them back
        together again! :-)
        All the best,
        Mike N
      • rakolam
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 3, 2003
          > Such friers can be used as boilers Dave (I use one as a water bath,
          and it
          > serves very well in that role), but I would caution about pulling
          it apart
          > to use components in a keg unless you have a good deal of
          experience in
          > matters electrical and mechanical. I see that it utilises an oil
          immersed
          > heater element, and this is likely to present considerable
          difficulties in
          > removing the 'working parts' as the oil bath is probably an
          integral part of
          > the structure of the beast. So while there is nothing 'glaringly
          wrong'
          > with your idea, it is not something that should be undertaken
          without a good
          > deal of knowledge about the construction of the beast .. a lesson I
          never
          > seemed to learn when when I was a kid intent on pulling clocks
          apart to see
          > how they work. They come apart fine ... the trick is getting them
          back
          > together again! :-)
          > All the best,
          > Mike N

          Mike,
          I completely agree. I too did the clock thing when I was a kid..
          one of the all mechanical ones with the two bells on top with a
          striker in the middle. I got the backing off, and *SPROING*... the
          parts suddenly lept out of the casing. Oops. From then on it was
          electronic clocks only, and then only until I found out what a 555
          timer IC was.

          I'm not too worried about putting humpty dumpty back together
          again, as I've had a great deal of tinkering experience since my
          clock killing days. Though there are certainly dangers in making
          modifications to existing appliances, I am much more concerned about
          about building something that plugs into the wall from scratch.
          Since the controller and element is all one unit that conveniently
          comes out for cleaning, I figured all I had to do was seperate the
          plastic controller from the element. and extend the two power and
          temperature leads. These I can check with a multimeter before and
          after to make sure that there properties are still the same (I am
          betting on the fact that any very slight increase in resistance won't
          be a problem) I had thought about the difference of viscosity between
          oil and the contents of my boiler.... and to be quite frank, I am
          pretty much going on a hunch that it won't be a big deal. Either
          way, precautions are always in order during the testing phase, and
          the worst that could happen is that I lose a fryer that I don't use.

          Thanks for the response!

          Dave
        • Mike Nixon
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 3, 2003
            rakolam wrote:
            Subject: [new_distillers] Re: power source

            Mike,
            I completely agree. I too did the clock thing when I was a kid..
            one of the all mechanical ones with the two bells on top with a
            striker in the middle. I got the backing off, and *SPROING*... the
            parts suddenly lept out of the casing. Oops. From then on it was
            electronic clocks only, and then only until I found out what a 555
            timer IC was. (snip)
            ===========================
            Those were the days! :-) We were allowed to climb trees then too without
            some PC idiot telling us it was 'too dangerous'.

            Good luck with your project. Just think, if it works then you can have a
            side order of fries with your booze! :-)

            Mike N
          • Alexander-James Corbin Rauwsen III
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 4, 2003
              > I completely agree. I too did the clock thing when I was a kid..
              > one of the all mechanical ones with the two bells on top with a
              > striker in the middle. I got the backing off, and *SPROING*... the
              > parts suddenly lept out of the casing. Oops.
              The secret to getting clocks and watches apart with out the parts
              flying all over the place is to let the mainspring down before you
              take any screws out of the bridges. The second largest problem is
              cheap clocks and watches use a single plate to hold all the wheels and
              escapment together more expensive ones use seperate plates (bridges)
              for the train, balance, escapement, mainspring. If you dont know what
              any of this means is best to leave your broken clock broken but complete.
              Im working on still #2 the small carbonator tank (4 USG) worked great
              but Im looking to bigger and more high tech. A friend left me 2 old
              stainless firestone 15.5 USG kegs over the weekend the kind with a
              hole in the side and top. the thing that really caught me was the
              keyhole shaped bulge in the bottom perfect for fitting a heating
              element into fron the side. I threaded a piece of stainless pipe to
              take a water heater element planning to weld it in the side tomorrow.
              For control I picked up a really cool foxboro temp controller takes
              RTD in, on off control out, multiple set points ect...
              Ive been lurking for awhile but the weather is getting cold and that
              means time to work on things around the house where its warm.
              Laterz
              AJ