Plum mash

  • John Wisbey
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 3, 2003
      I made a batch of plum mash using Prestige Pot Distiller's yeast. The plums were first put though a juicer and the sludge was put into a muslin bag then into the juice in a fermenting tub. I took a pH reading of the juice before fermentation but was unable to get a decent reading when the fermentation finished because the mash had the consistency of light engine oil. It smelt like plum wine. After racking I started distilling in a conventional pot still with 15lt. capacity. I only distilled about 5 lt at a time because I was afraid the mash might foam. On each of the 4 runs I threw out the first 100ml and then collected 500ml at a time. The still has a simple thermometer near the lyne arm and I was surprised at the amount of control I was able to get from a small electric hot plate. On each run the 1st 500ml was about 70% abv, the second about 50% the third was always about 20% which I put back into the next batch. At first, the distillate had a peculiar smell, which went after a couple of days. It now tastes and smells OK. Now the question. Should I put the whole lot back and distil a second time? The still is an all copper ambico type. Any advice would be most welcome. In passing I don't want to blow myself up, so I am distilling out in the open.

      John Wisbey

    • Rutger
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 3, 2003
        > I made a batch of plum mash using Prestige Pot Distiller's yeast.
        > The plums were first put though a juicer and the sludge was put
        > into a muslin bag then into the juice in a fermenting tub. I took
        > a pH reading of the juice before fermentation but was unable to
        > get a decent reading when the fermentation finished because the
        > mash had the consistency of light engine oil. It smelt like plum
        > wine. After racking I started distilling in a conventional pot
        > still with 15lt. capacity. I only distilled about 5 lt at a time
        > because I was afraid the mash might foam. On each of the 4 runs I
        > threw out the first 100ml and then collected 500ml at a time. The
        > still has a simple thermometer near the lyne arm and I was
        > surprised at the amount of control I was able to get from a small
        > electric hot plate. On each run the 1st 500ml was about 70% abv,
        > the second about 50% the third was always about 20% which I put
        > back into the next batch. At first, the distillate had a peculiar
        > smell, which went after a couple of days. It now tastes and
        > smells OK. Now the question. Should I put the whole lot back and
        > distil a second time? The still is an all copper ambico type. Any
        > advice would be most welcome. In passing I don't want to blow
        > myself up, so I am distilling out in the open.

        Distill a second time, after you diluted the first runs back to 50%. After
        the second run the smell and taste will be much clearer and softer,
        crispier. Keep a good foreshot, since plums are suspicious to produce e
        little bit more methanol as they contain more pectin. You don't state if you
        used pectinase before fermenting. It will make the mash musch less viscuous.
        There will be no harm in distilling it twice, don't be afraid to blow
        anything up.

        Rutger
      • John Wisbey
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 3, 2003
          Hi, Rutger,

          Yes I used Lallzyme by Lallemand Pektinase. I am about to do the second run. Thanks for your advice
          Regards

          John Wisbey

        • John Wisbey
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 6, 2003
            Hi, Rutger

            I have completed the 2nd distillation without blowing myself up. You are right, it does taste better. I managed to get 6 batches of 500ml, the first 4 came over at about 78 Deg. C and about 80% abv. number 5 came over at about 84 Deg C at 72% and 6 came over with a final temperature of 95 Deg. C at 45%. They all smell OK, as far as I can tell, and as yet I have not tasted them all. Should I mix them all together and cut to about 45% with distilled water, or should I keep the last 500ml for another run at some time?

            Your advice will be most welcome

            John Wisbey