filtering

  • KEZ
    Message 1 of 34 , Aug 5, 2001
      Gday

      I think I had a stroke or genius yesterday in filtering my spirit. I usually run a litre of water thru at the end to get the final amount of spirit out of the tube of carbon. To see when the water begins I just sit at the end and taste the spirit until it tastes diluted, which is a pretty grey area after about 20 tastes (yuk).

      So yesterday I put in a litre of hot tap water instead of cold. This told me 2 things.....

      1. I could feel in the tube where the water was and it told me that all the carbon was being used in the filtration.

      2. When the water was about to come thru cutting down on about 18 tastes, YES!

      To celebrate my new knowledge I had a couple of scotches. I love it when a plan comes together.

      TTFN, Kez
      *************************************
    • Lindsay Williams
      Message 34 of 34 , Mar 8, 2006
        I certainly wouldn't use fibre-glass. I sure as hell wouldn't want
        fibres of glass in my stomach, especially as there are other safer
        products. People have used cotton wool and even tampons!! Coffee
        filters are also used. These would be better than blotting paper as
        they are made for liquid filtering.

        The key to good filtering is to make sure the etoh is in contact with
        the carbon for an appreciable time and to ensure that the etoh can't
        track through the carbon. So feeding from the bottom is a good idea
        and the Still Spirits Z filter uses this principle. Others feed from
        the top and use an outlet valve to control the flow rate.

        Cheers,
        Lindsay.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "parkst5356" <parkst5356@...>