Stripping ethanol from whiskeys

  • zman102_98203@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 5, 2001
      Hello all,
      Does anyone have experience with stripping the alcohol out of
      commerically available whiskey? A friend hase given me about five
      litres of whiskey,and all I want out of it is the ethanol (so I can
      make another type of liqeuer). I have had great luck in using my
      Desti-lab to strip commercial vodka of its alcohol, but was wondering
      if it is worthwhile to attempt this with whiskey, tequila, etc.
      Great forum here!
      Thanks,
      zman102
    • Tarvus
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 15, 2001
        --- In new_distillers@y..., zman102_98203@y... wrote:
        > Hello all,
        > Does anyone have experience with stripping the alcohol out of
        > commerically available whiskey? A friend hase given me about five
        > litres of whiskey,and all I want out of it is the ethanol (so I can
        > make another type of liqeuer). I have had great luck in using my
        > Desti-lab to strip commercial vodka of its alcohol, but was
        wondering
        > if it is worthwhile to attempt this with whiskey, tequila, etc.
        > Great forum here!
        > Thanks,
        > zman102

        With a good reflux still, you can strip ethanol out of virtually
        anything containing it. Last new years eve we hosted a party and
        wound up with a variety of leftover beer, wine, and liquor. I dumped
        it all into my boiler and using my home made Stillmaster type reflux
        still, wound up with ethanol virtually indistinguishable from my
        usual product. One major difference that really surprised me was the
        amount of methanol that I first separated out of that commercial
        stuff. FAR more from maybe 12 liters of swill than I normally get
        from 60 liters of my own sugar wash. Proof of why some of that
        commercial stuff gives such deadly hangovers!

        best regards,
        Tar