Re: a few questions befor i go brazing.....

  • nanosleep
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 29, 2003
      Extra coil length in your condenser will make your condenser more
      efficient.
      The amount of heat a condenser removes is related to two things.
      1) the temperature difference of the cooling water from input to
      output of the condenser.
      2) the amount of cooling water flowing.

      What a longer coil length does is allow you to maximize the
      temperature difference while minimizing the flow (makes your condenser
      more efficient).
      You should operate your condenser with the minimum amount of water
      flow that will completely condense the vapors. At that flow setting,
      the temperature difference of the cooling water between input and
      output to the condenser will determine your efficiency. If the
      cooling water is NOT hot at the output of the condenser, you need more
      length. If the temperature of the cooling water at the output of the
      condenser is 170F, and you are condensing all the vapors then you have
      a perfect condenser (not going to happen). If you can reduce the flow
      so the cooling water out is burning hot to the touch and you are still
      condensing all the vapors, then you have a good condenser.

      If your coil is already efficient, making a longer one will not reduce
      your cooling water flow.

      I have two condensers that both can handle my maximum of 3000 watts
      heat input to the boiler.
      One condenser is a single helix of 1/4inch tubing inside a 2 inch
      pipe. Each turn of the coil is spaced about 1/8inch from each other.
      The length of the 2 inch pipe is about 10 inches.
      The second condenser is a double helix of 1/4inch tubing inside a 2
      inch pipe. The coils are again spaced about 1/8inch from each other.
      The length of the 2 inch pipe is about 5 inches.

      Both of these coils I run with a stainless steel scrubber packed in
      the center of the coil. Otherwise the vapor passes straight through
      and doesn't hang around long enough to get cooled.

      I like the double helix because is doesn't require as much height.
      This leaves more of the floor-to-ceiling space to be used as column.

      Doing 2 coils in parallel would work, but the extra complexity isn't
      worth the effort.

      I have run the coils with flow in both directions. It doesn't seem to
      make any difference in operation.