RE: [new_distillers] Re: electronics for dummies

  • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 29, 2003
      I've just done that to my still. The original $80 element in it had blown, so I took that out and braized a patch over its hole. Drilled & filed two holes in the side and inserted two 1500W electric jug elements ($20). These just plug in using a jug lead. I put them into two separate power points (not to overload any 10amp fuses), and each also has an RCD in it to avoid earth faults (there's no earth wire on the element or in the jug lead). Had a little trouble initially with sealing (the jug elements only have a plastic washer, hand tightened), but that was easily fixed with a smear of silicon.

      It now heats 25L up in about 40 min (was 1 hr with 1800W), and can push the 95% pure stuff through at a rate of about 50 mL/min. The only trouble is that 3000W heat input is the max limit for my condenser - I can only just get the water through the 3/16 tubing fast enough to fully condense all the vapour.

      When doing runs with stripped spirits I fill it to above element height with water first, before adding the 40-65% abv stripped wash. That way I can never boil them dry.

      Tony