Re: [new_distillers] any tips on welding/soldering a reflux coil in a collumn ?

  • mud !
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2, 2001
      to whom it may concern,
      Now I'm a qualified mechanical engineer by trade, it
      looks as if you might have some trouble here. You say you don't have an oxy
      set, without one you cant get enough heat to braze the copper to the
      stainless. Your blow torch just wont do. Even then it is a little tricky.
      Another method is to use silicon, a friend of mine has used this for the
      last few years with no problems.
      Let me know how you got on.
      MUD

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2, 2001
        Well, silicon I can handle, but I was rather concerned about how much
        pressure from the steam there is generated at the top of the column.
        I wondered if silicon can handle the pressure if there is any.

      • crew666@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 2, 2001
          Ok, went to the shop and got me an oxy-set, $100, btu the best $100 i
          spend the last couple of days, and it worked excelent. I'm an
          electrotechnician, but never had to use an oxy-set before, i'm glad i
          did now.

          I also got some 97% tin / 3% copper solder which probably would have
          worked ok with the torch, but still it's far better done with the oxy-
          set and hard copper solder.