any tips on welding/soldering a reflux coil in a collumn ?

  • crew666@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1 10:26 AM
      I've had my share of headaches (not from drinking, duh), and got
      pretty far till now, i've twisted some copper tubing to go inside the
      collumn as a reflux coil, i've drilled the holes, and it all fits
      nice and tight, but how the hell can i solder this so it's airtight,
      all the solder does is stick together in big chuncks. any tips
      welcomed. btw, i don't have a acetilene torch, only a small burner
    • mud !
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2 12:55 AM
        to whom it may concern,
        Now I'm a qualified mechanical engineer by trade, it
        looks as if you might have some trouble here. You say you don't have an oxy
        set, without one you cant get enough heat to braze the copper to the
        stainless. Your blow torch just wont do. Even then it is a little tricky.
        Another method is to use silicon, a friend of mine has used this for the
        last few years with no problems.
        Let me know how you got on.
        MUD

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 2 5:02 AM
          Well, silicon I can handle, but I was rather concerned about how much
          pressure from the steam there is generated at the top of the column.
          I wondered if silicon can handle the pressure if there is any.

        • crew666@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 2 10:19 AM
            Ok, went to the shop and got me an oxy-set, $100, btu the best $100 i
            spend the last couple of days, and it worked excelent. I'm an
            electrotechnician, but never had to use an oxy-set before, i'm glad i
            did now.

            I also got some 97% tin / 3% copper solder which probably would have
            worked ok with the torch, but still it's far better done with the oxy-
            set and hard copper solder.