Re: First observations after drinking Pure Ethanol

  • flaming_pinto
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 5, 2003
      I too remember the "Everclear" days! I would guess that the
      distillery making it was not to concerned about flavor or smoothness
      as you are never supposed to drink it straight. Since I run a pot
      still, I never distill to more than 160 proof but I too noticed that
      my stuff seems much smoother than I remember the old grain alcolhol
      being. Then again, our young palates were probably alot more
      sensitive to the huge alcohol burn as well. :-)

      flaming_Pinto
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Wil" <wbg_us@y...> wrote:
      > When I was a kid, (well in my late teens) we used to get Everclear.
      > (thats 190 Proof grain to U guys Down Under) It was so harsh you
      > could never drink a shot of the stuff straight... Drinking my own
      > product is nothing like that. Smooth as polished glass compared to
      > that, Warming the mouth and burning the throat, But in no way
      > harsh... After sampling a bit over half a pint of reflux product
      > straight out of the condensor, I have a few observations...
      >

      > #1-Pure alcohol is not the rough, gaggy stuff that some liquors
      > are. In fact it tastes pretty damn good..
      >
      > #2-You have NO idea you drank too much till WAYYY Late!! A little
      > DEFINATELY goes a long way!! Try waking up @ 4AM in front of your
      > PC instead of in a warm bed where U should be!!
      >
      > #3-The "Hangover" experience is a bit different, U don't really
      > feel bad, just different. Best way I can discribe it is "Helium
      > Head".
      >
      > #4-Drinking your own made for $7 bucks a gallon is much more
      > rewarding than paying $20+ Bucks a Fifth for the gaggy stuff from
      > the local liquor store.
      >
      > Got 2 new washes gurgling in the tub and have already started some
      > apple cinnimon and pear liquers. Still got 2 16oz Bottles of pure
      > in the cubbard, Life is Good!!
    • corn_wash
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 5, 2003
        about two months ago i went to the liquor store and purchased a 200ml
        bottle of everclear to test my hydrometer among other things, i cut
        the everclear to 50% and cut some of mine to 50% useing bottled
        water, placed the 2 bottles in the freezer for about 1 hr. then came
        the supprise, myself and a friend compaired the 2, the everclear
        tasted like a flat pepsi compaired to the homemaid.............

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "flaming_pinto"
        <flaming_pinto@y...> wrote:
        > I too remember the "Everclear" days! I would guess that the
        > distillery making it was not to concerned about flavor or
        smoothness
        > as you are never supposed to drink it straight. Since I run a pot
        > still, I never distill to more than 160 proof but I too noticed
        that
        > my stuff seems much smoother than I remember the old grain alcolhol
        > being. Then again, our young palates were probably alot more
        > sensitive to the huge alcohol burn as well. :-)
        >

        > flaming_Pinto
        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Wil" <wbg_us@y...> wrote:
        > > When I was a kid, (well in my late teens) we used to get
        Everclear.
        > > (thats 190 Proof grain to U guys Down Under) It was so harsh
        you
        > > could never drink a shot of the stuff straight... Drinking my
        own
        > > product is nothing like that. Smooth as polished glass compared
        > > that, Warming the mouth and burning the throat, But in no way
        > > harsh... After sampling a bit over half a pint of reflux product
        > > straight out of the condensor, I have a few observations...
        > >

        > > #1-Pure alcohol is not the rough, gaggy stuff that some liquors
        > > are. In fact it tastes pretty damn good..
        > >
        > > #2-You have NO idea you drank too much till WAYYY Late!! A
        little
        > > DEFINATELY goes a long way!! Try waking up @ 4AM in front of
        your
        > > PC instead of in a warm bed where U should be!!
        > >
        > > #3-The "Hangover" experience is a bit different, U don't really
        > > feel bad, just different. Best way I can discribe it is "Helium
        > > Head".
        > >
        > > #4-Drinking your own made for $7 bucks a gallon is much more
        > > rewarding than paying $20+ Bucks a Fifth for the gaggy stuff from
        > > the local liquor store.
        > >
        > > Got 2 new washes gurgling in the tub and have already started
        some
        > > apple cinnimon and pear liquers. Still got 2 16oz Bottles of
        pure
        > > in the cubbard, Life is Good!!
      • Zarklan Zhaphedoix

          #1-Pure alcohol is not the rough, gaggy stuff that some liquors
          are. In fact it tastes pretty damn good..

          #2-You have NO idea you drank too much till WAYYY Late!! A little

          #3-The "Hangover" experience is a bit different, U don't really

          #4-Drinking your own made for $7 bucks a gallon is much more
          rewarding than paying $20+ Bucks a Fifth for the gaggy stuff from
          the local liquor store.

          Got 2 new washes gurgling in the tub and have already started some
          apple cinnimon and pear liquers. Still got 2 16oz Bottles of pure
          in the cubbard, Life is Good!!

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT