Re: Using Corn.. I Appreciate it Gents.

  • flaming_pinto
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 3, 2003
      Thanks to Wal's recent post on the subject, I discovered why my
      mashing process sometimes results in lower-than-expected yeilds for
      me.

      Even though the starch conversion happens for the most part around
      150-155F, the mash needs to be held at(or at least pass-through) the
      95-105F range in order to really break down the gummy structures of
      the starch so that the enzymes can crack them. For my last batch, I
      didn't add the grains until 140F and the result was a ppg yeild of
      only .022 instead of the expected .031 that I got with the previous
      batch (which I added the grains at around 60F and heated slowly).

      So to maximize your grain yeilds, always add the grains to cool water
      and let them warm to 150F slowly. The article I read suggested that
      holding the mash at 100F for 20 minutes will usually result in
      several points improvement in the yeild. With the small batches we
      are working with, every point counts.

      Flaming_pinto

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "nanosleep" <nanosleep@y...>
      wrote:
> [...]
      > powdered enzymes so who knows how long it has been sitting on the
      > shelf. I have had good luck when using malted barley for the enzyme
      > action.
      > I usually cook my corn longer than 1 hour (at almost boiling). I've
      > used both cracked corn and fine meal. The meal takes less cooking
      and
      > has better yield, but you can't strain it and you must ferment and
      > distill on the grain. My boiler has electric elements and I haven't
      > (as of yet) had any problems scorching a corn wash. I use extra
      water
      > to help prevent this.
      >
      > The only trouble I've had with scorching is with a pears. I ran
      some
      > pears through the sausage grinder and then fermented and
      distilled. I
      > think the wash was thick enough that it wasn't 'self stirring' when
      > heated, and the pear flesh seemed to be acting as an insulator. A
      bad
      > combination.
      >

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "flaming_pinto"
      > <flaming_pinto@y...> wrote:
      > > I just finished a corn wash which turned out VERY nice, so let me
      > add
      > > my two cents in here.
      > >
      > > I used cracked, unmalted feed corn and malted 6-row barley (from
      > the
      > > brew shop) in the follwing ratio:
      > >
      > > 8 lbs corn
      > > 3 lbs barley
      > > 3 lbs corn-sugar (to boost alc. percentage)
      > >
      > > You have to boil the hell out of the corn to get the starch out -
      > > boiled for an hour in two 20-quart pans. Then you bring the temp
      > > down to 150F and add the barley. Hold at 150-155F for an hour -
      > > (this is when the corn gets converted to sugars). Drain the
      liquid
      > > off the grains and make up to 5 or 6 gallons, depending on your
      > > fermentor. You can also brew on the grains and drain before
      > > distilling.
      > >
      > > I then reduced the temp to 85F, added the corn-sugar, 24oz of
      > > molasses for nutrients, and pitched a good quality grain yeast
      (Red
      > > Star brand "Distiller's" yeast). After 3 days of brisk
      > fermentation,
      > > I distilled a gallon of excellent young whiskey @ 40%.
      > >
      > > Some of it we drank as-is, and some of it I put on oak. The stuff
      > > put on oak rivals the best commercial whiskeys I have had.
      > >
      > > Hope this helps. I am in the process of brewing up some scotch
      > using
      > > all matled barley (10 pounds 2-row, 5 pounds 6-row. I can't wait
      > > see how this turns out after oaking.
      > >
      > > flaming_pinto
      > >

      > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "headcavedin"
      > > <headcavedin@y...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > All this Good info. I surly do Appreciate to Guys. Excellant
      > info.
      > > > don't mind the extra work if just for the sake of trying

      Hybird?