Re: ANYLASE ENZIME: CONVERT STARCHES INTO SUGARS

  • waljaco
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 2, 2003
      I am probably wrong. Malted barley contains alpha-amylase, beta-
      amylase and beta-glucanase. It appears beta-glucanase (optimum temp.
      45-50C) removes gum-like beta-glucans. It appears you can get
      complete conversion with malted barley which can be tested -
      http://www.realbeer.com/jjpalmer/ch14.html

      Glucoamylase enzyme is made by the Aspergillus mould.

      Wal
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "flaming_pinto"
      <flaming_pinto@y...> wrote:
      > Wal,
      > you are probably correct, all I know is that for our purposes, good
      > old malted barley is all the bourbon brewers or Kentucky and
      > Tennessee have needed to convert their cracked corn. Most of them
      > don't malt their corn because the malted barley does a good enough
      > job without going to the trouble of malting all that corn.
      >
      > Flaming_pinto
      >

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@h...>
      wrote:
      > > For full conversion you need alpha-amylase, beta-amylase and
      gluco-
      > > amylase. Malted barley might not have the gluco-amylase which is
      > > added to get a dry beer and remove unconverted starches. Correct
      me
      > > if I am wrong.
      > > Wal
      > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "flaming_pinto"
      > > <flaming_pinto@y...> wrote:
      > > > FYI, the amylase you buy in the brew supply shops as a powder
      is
      > > made
      > > > to clear the starch-haze out of a beer wash during
      fermentation.
      > > By
      > > > itself it does a very poor job of converting starches during a
      > > > mashing phase because it only attacks the short-chain sections
      of
      > > the
      > > > starch and can't break the bonds to get at the rest of the
      > > molecule.
      > > > Your best bet is to use some 6-row barley, as it contains
      plenty
      > of
      > > > the right kind of amylase to fully convert the corn sugars.
      You
      > > > could add some of the powdered enzyme as extra insurance if you
      > > like.
      > > >
      > > > A few pounds of 6-row barley at the brew-supply shop will only
      > cost
      > > > you a dollar or two more than buying the powdered enzyme but
      will
      > > > make a world of difference in the finished product. Make sure
      > you
      > > > have the barley cracked before bring it home.
      > > >
      > > > Flaming_pinto
      > > >

      > > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "corn_wash"
      > <corn_wash@y...>
      > 5
      > times
      > for
      > > > the
    • Robert N
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 4, 2003
        Came across this web site that may be able to source botanicals for
        those that are interested.
        http://www.screamingseeds.com.au/welcome.html

        Yours in Spirit

        Robert