Re: ANYLASE ENZIME: CONVERT STARCHES INTO SUGARS

  • waljaco
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 2, 2003
      For full conversion you need alpha-amylase, beta-amylase and gluco-
      amylase. Malted barley might not have the gluco-amylase which is
      added to get a dry beer and remove unconverted starches. Correct me
      if I am wrong.
      Wal
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "flaming_pinto"
      <flaming_pinto@y...> wrote:
      > FYI, the amylase you buy in the brew supply shops as a powder is
      made
      > to clear the starch-haze out of a beer wash during fermentation.
      By
      > itself it does a very poor job of converting starches during a
      > mashing phase because it only attacks the short-chain sections of
      the
      > starch and can't break the bonds to get at the rest of the
      molecule.
      > Your best bet is to use some 6-row barley, as it contains plenty of
      > the right kind of amylase to fully convert the corn sugars. You
      > could add some of the powdered enzyme as extra insurance if you
      like.

      > A few pounds of 6-row barley at the brew-supply shop will only cost
      > you a dollar or two more than buying the powdered enzyme but will
      > make a world of difference in the finished product. Make sure you
      > have the barley cracked before bring it home.
      >
      > Flaming_pinto
      >

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "corn_wash" <corn_wash@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > PLACE CRACKED GRAIN INTO A COOKING POT, add 1/2 tsp. for each 3-5
      > > gal,cook at 150F (no hotter) for 45min. to 1 hr. stir a few times
      > > while cooking, the amylase will convert the starches to sugar for
      > the
      > > mash (wort) amylase can be purchased at most brew stores.
    • flaming_pinto
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 2, 2003
        Wal,
        you are probably correct, all I know is that for our purposes, good
        old malted barley is all the bourbon brewers or Kentucky and
        Tennessee have needed to convert their cracked corn. Most of them
        don't malt their corn because the malted barley does a good enough
        job without going to the trouble of malting all that corn.

        Flaming_pinto

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 2, 2003
          I am probably wrong. Malted barley contains alpha-amylase, beta-
          amylase and beta-glucanase. It appears beta-glucanase (optimum temp.
          45-50C) removes gum-like beta-glucans. It appears you can get
          complete conversion with malted barley which can be tested -
          http://www.realbeer.com/jjpalmer/ch14.html

          Glucoamylase enzyme is made by the Aspergillus mould.

          <flaming_pinto@y...> wrote:
          > Wal,
          > you are probably correct, all I know is that for our purposes, good
          > old malted barley is all the bourbon brewers or Kentucky and
          > Tennessee have needed to convert their cracked corn. Most of them
          > don't malt their corn because the malted barley does a good enough
          > job without going to the trouble of malting all that corn.
          >
          > Flaming_pinto
          >

          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@h...>
          wrote:
          > > For full conversion you need alpha-amylase, beta-amylase and
          gluco-
          > > amylase. Malted barley might not have the gluco-amylase which is
          > > added to get a dry beer and remove unconverted starches. Correct
          me
          > > if I am wrong.
          > > Wal
          > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "flaming_pinto"
          > > <flaming_pinto@y...> wrote:
          > > > FYI, the amylase you buy in the brew supply shops as a powder
          is
          > > made
          > > > to clear the starch-haze out of a beer wash during
          fermentation.
          > > By
          > > > itself it does a very poor job of converting starches during a
          > > > mashing phase because it only attacks the short-chain sections
          of
          > > the
          > > > starch and can't break the bonds to get at the rest of the
          > > molecule.
          > > > Your best bet is to use some 6-row barley, as it contains
          plenty
          > of
          > > > the right kind of amylase to fully convert the corn sugars.
          You
          > > > could add some of the powdered enzyme as extra insurance if you
          > > like.
          > > >
          > > > A few pounds of 6-row barley at the brew-supply shop will only
          > cost
          > > > you a dollar or two more than buying the powdered enzyme but
          will
          > > > make a world of difference in the finished product. Make sure
          > you
          > > > have the barley cracked before bring it home.
          > > >
          > > > Flaming_pinto
          > > >

          > > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "corn_wash"
          > <corn_wash@y...>
          > 5
          > times
          > for
          > > > the
        • Robert N
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 4, 2003
            Came across this web site that may be able to source botanicals for
            those that are interested.
            http://www.screamingseeds.com.au/welcome.html

            Yours in Spirit

            Robert