Re: Using Corn.. I Appreciate it Gents.

  • headcavedin
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 2 11:40 AM
      All this Good info. I surly do Appreciate to Guys. Excellant info. I
      don't mind the extra work if just for the sake of trying something
      diffrent, ya know? Thanks again

      Frank

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "headcavedin"
      <headcavedin@y...> wrote:
      > Hey! I want to do a Corn wash. I understand how to go about letting
      > it sprout and then to grind. The sprout is where the enzymes comes
      > from, correct? What I need to know is what type of corn to look
      for.
      > Do I understand correctly That I need to look for a Non-Hybird?
      Thanks

      > Frank
    • flaming_pinto
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 2 2:05 PM
        I just finished a corn wash which turned out VERY nice, so let me add
        my two cents in here.

        I used cracked, unmalted feed corn and malted 6-row barley (from the
        brew shop) in the follwing ratio:

        8 lbs corn
        3 lbs barley
        3 lbs corn-sugar (to boost alc. percentage)

        You have to boil the hell out of the corn to get the starch out - I
        boiled for an hour in two 20-quart pans. Then you bring the temp
        down to 150F and add the barley. Hold at 150-155F for an hour -
        (this is when the corn gets converted to sugars). Drain the liquid
        off the grains and make up to 5 or 6 gallons, depending on your
        fermentor. You can also brew on the grains and drain before
        distilling.

        I then reduced the temp to 85F, added the corn-sugar, 24oz of
        molasses for nutrients, and pitched a good quality grain yeast (Red
        Star brand "Distiller's" yeast). After 3 days of brisk fermentation,
        I distilled a gallon of excellent young whiskey @ 40%.

        Some of it we drank as-is, and some of it I put on oak. The stuff I
        put on oak rivals the best commercial whiskeys I have had.

        Hope this helps. I am in the process of brewing up some scotch using
        all matled barley (10 pounds 2-row, 5 pounds 6-row. I can't wait to
        see how this turns out after oaking.

        flaming_pinto

        <headcavedin@y...> wrote:

        > All this Good info. I surly do Appreciate to Guys. Excellant info.
        > don't mind the extra work if just for the sake of trying something
        > diffrent, ya know? Thanks again
        >
        > Frank
        >

        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "headcavedin"
        > <headcavedin@y...> wrote:
        > > Hey! I want to do a Corn wash. I understand how to go about
        letting
        > > it sprout and then to grind. The sprout is where the enzymes
        comes
        > > from, correct? What I need to know is what type of corn to look
        > for.
        > > Do I understand correctly That I need to look for a Non-Hybird?
        > Thanks
        > >
        > > Frank
      • nanosleep
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 2 10:08 PM
          This is almost identical to my procedure except I don't add sugar and
          I ferment and distill on the grain.
          I've had a few failed batches when I used only amalyse powdered
          enzymes from the local homebrew store. I don't know whether the
          amalyse powder wasn't a proper mixture of the different types of
          enzymes, or if it was just dead. I don't think many people buy the
          powdered enzymes so who knows how long it has been sitting on the
          shelf. I have had good luck when using malted barley for the enzyme
          action.
          I usually cook my corn longer than 1 hour (at almost boiling). I've
          used both cracked corn and fine meal. The meal takes less cooking and
          has better yield, but you can't strain it and you must ferment and
          distill on the grain. My boiler has electric elements and I haven't
          (as of yet) had any problems scorching a corn wash. I use extra water
          to help prevent this.

          The only trouble I've had with scorching is with a pears. I ran some
          pears through the sausage grinder and then fermented and distilled. I
          think the wash was thick enough that it wasn't 'self stirring' when
          heated, and the pear flesh seemed to be acting as an insulator. A bad
          combination.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "flaming_pinto"

        • flaming_pinto
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 3 6:01 AM
            Thanks to Wal's recent post on the subject, I discovered why my
            mashing process sometimes results in lower-than-expected yeilds for
            me.

            Even though the starch conversion happens for the most part around
            150-155F, the mash needs to be held at(or at least pass-through) the
            95-105F range in order to really break down the gummy structures of
            the starch so that the enzymes can crack them. For my last batch, I
            didn't add the grains until 140F and the result was a ppg yeild of
            only .022 instead of the expected .031 that I got with the previous
            batch (which I added the grains at around 60F and heated slowly).

            So to maximize your grain yeilds, always add the grains to cool water
            and let them warm to 150F slowly. The article I read suggested that
            holding the mash at 100F for 20 minutes will usually result in
            several points improvement in the yeild. With the small batches we
            are working with, every point counts.

            Flaming_pinto

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "nanosleep" <nanosleep@y...>