ANYLASE ENZIME: CONVERT STARCHES INTO SUGARS

  • corn_wash
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 2, 2003
      PLACE CRACKED GRAIN INTO A COOKING POT, add 1/2 tsp. for each 3-5
      gal,cook at 150F (no hotter) for 45min. to 1 hr. stir a few times
      while cooking, the amylase will convert the starches to sugar for the
      mash (wort) amylase can be purchased at most brew stores.
    • flaming_pinto
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 2, 2003
        FYI, the amylase you buy in the brew supply shops as a powder is made
        to clear the starch-haze out of a beer wash during fermentation. By
        itself it does a very poor job of converting starches during a
        mashing phase because it only attacks the short-chain sections of the
        starch and can't break the bonds to get at the rest of the molecule.
        Your best bet is to use some 6-row barley, as it contains plenty of
        the right kind of amylase to fully convert the corn sugars. You
        could add some of the powdered enzyme as extra insurance if you like.

        A few pounds of 6-row barley at the brew-supply shop will only cost
        you a dollar or two more than buying the powdered enzyme but will
        make a world of difference in the finished product. Make sure you
        have the barley cracked before bring it home.

        Flaming_pinto

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "corn_wash" <corn_wash@y...>
        wrote:
        > PLACE CRACKED GRAIN INTO A COOKING POT, add 1/2 tsp. for each 3-5
        > gal,cook at 150F (no hotter) for 45min. to 1 hr. stir a few times
        > while cooking, the amylase will convert the starches to sugar for
        the
        > mash (wort) amylase can be purchased at most brew stores.
      • waljaco
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 2, 2003
          For full conversion you need alpha-amylase, beta-amylase and gluco-
          amylase. Malted barley might not have the gluco-amylase which is
          added to get a dry beer and remove unconverted starches. Correct me
          if I am wrong.
          Wal
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "flaming_pinto"

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 2, 2003
            Wal,
            you are probably correct, all I know is that for our purposes, good
            old malted barley is all the bourbon brewers or Kentucky and
            Tennessee have needed to convert their cracked corn. Most of them
            don't malt their corn because the malted barley does a good enough
            job without going to the trouble of malting all that corn.

            Flaming_pinto

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 2, 2003
              I am probably wrong. Malted barley contains alpha-amylase, beta-
              amylase and beta-glucanase. It appears beta-glucanase (optimum temp.
              45-50C) removes gum-like beta-glucans. It appears you can get
              complete conversion with malted barley which can be tested -
              http://www.realbeer.com/jjpalmer/ch14.html

              Glucoamylase enzyme is made by the Aspergillus mould.

              <flaming_pinto@y...> wrote:
              > Wal,
              > you are probably correct, all I know is that for our purposes, good
              > old malted barley is all the bourbon brewers or Kentucky and
              > Tennessee have needed to convert their cracked corn. Most of them
              > don't malt their corn because the malted barley does a good enough
              > job without going to the trouble of malting all that corn.
              >
              > Flaming_pinto
              >

              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@h...>
              wrote:
              > > For full conversion you need alpha-amylase, beta-amylase and
              gluco-
              > > amylase. Malted barley might not have the gluco-amylase which is
              > > added to get a dry beer and remove unconverted starches. Correct
              me
              > > if I am wrong.
              > > Wal
              > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "flaming_pinto"
              > > <flaming_pinto@y...> wrote:
              > > > FYI, the amylase you buy in the brew supply shops as a powder
              is
              > > made
              > > > to clear the starch-haze out of a beer wash during
              fermentation.
              > > By
              > > > itself it does a very poor job of converting starches during a
              > > > mashing phase because it only attacks the short-chain sections
              of
              > > the
              > > > starch and can't break the bonds to get at the rest of the
              > > molecule.
              > > > Your best bet is to use some 6-row barley, as it contains
              plenty
              > of
              > > > the right kind of amylase to fully convert the corn sugars.
              You
              > > > could add some of the powdered enzyme as extra insurance if you
              > > like.
              > > >
              > > > A few pounds of 6-row barley at the brew-supply shop will only
              > cost
              > > > you a dollar or two more than buying the powdered enzyme but
              will
              > > > make a world of difference in the finished product. Make sure
              > you
              > > > have the barley cracked before bring it home.
              > > >
              > > > Flaming_pinto
              > > >

              > > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "corn_wash"
              > <corn_wash@y...>
              > 5
              > times
              > for
              > > > the
            • Robert N
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 4, 2003
                Came across this web site that may be able to source botanicals for
                those that are interested.
                http://www.screamingseeds.com.au/welcome.html

                Yours in Spirit

                Robert