Re: Preparing copper tube

  • watertrade2003
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 2, 2003
      Hi Steve,
      when I was building my still I picked up some used dirty copper
      after trying everything vinegar soaks/ mechanical
      attachments /nitric acid baths - I found I was never happy with it I
      don't know how bad yours are but even after cleaning mine were still
      dirty looking I ended up just looking harder for 2nd hand un-used
      pipe
      good luck though!

      Jim

      "Steve" <gufty4@y...> wrote:
      > I have just finished my first wash and as of yet have not started
      > still. I have gathered some second hand 1.5 inch copper tube for
      my
      > first attempt. I was wondering if anyone new of an easy way to
      clean
      > out the green gunk from the inside. I would prefer a chemical
      method
      > as it seems to be quite tenacious.
    • Wil
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 2, 2003
        I don't know about the inside of the tubing, The Vinegar soak might
        do the trick, but a new scotchbrite pad and a little elbo grease
        does a dandy Job on copper pipe and fittings!!

        Wil,

        Ain't Yeast Ranching a Hoot!!

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "watertrade2003"
        <james1@w...> wrote:
        > Hi Steve,
        > when I was building my still I picked up some used dirty copper
        > after trying everything vinegar soaks/ mechanical
        > attachments /nitric acid baths - I found I was never happy with it
        > don't know how bad yours are but even after cleaning mine were
        still
        > dirty looking I ended up just looking harder for 2nd hand un-used
        > pipe
        > good luck though!
        >
        > Jim
        >

        > "Steve" <gufty4@y...> wrote:
        > > I have just finished my first wash and as of yet have not
        started
        > > still. I have gathered some second hand 1.5 inch copper tube for
        > my
        > > first attempt. I was wondering if anyone new of an easy way to
        > clean
        > > out the green gunk from the inside. I would prefer a chemical
        > method
        > > as it seems to be quite tenacious.
      • chonder69
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 2, 2003
          On my 2" pipe, I ziptied a couple of stainless steel scrubbers(or
          other abrasive) to a dowel rod and it's just like cleaning a gun
          barrel. The vinegar soak and some of the vinegar/salt/baking soda
          paste does okay for me. There are commercial copper cleaning
          chemicals in the housewares section of the grocery usually, it does
          a good job, but rinse well.