Re: Using Corn

  • nanosleep
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2003
      You might first try a batch using malted barley from your local
      homebrew store. This has all the enzymes you'll need to convert the
      starch in your corn to sugar. 6-row barley has more enzymes (someone
      correct me if I'm wrong here. I never can clearly remember if it's
      2-row or 6-row). The malted barley will make up something like 15 to
      20% of your grains. I've never tried malting my own corn. Sounds
      like a lot of trouble.
      I think ALL types of corn contain starch, and therefore can be used to
      make alcohol. I think the reason for picking non-hybrid type is for
      better flavor. Some of the hybrids may actually have better alcohol
      yield (more of the weight is in starch rather than husk or whatever
      else). I use an old breed called "yellow dent". It has a good flavor
      when eaten as corn-on-the-cob. It also makes very good meal and
      cornbread.

      If you malt your own corn, you probably won't be able to have it
      milled. It will be too wet and will bog the mill. The best bet here
      is to use one of those hand powered sausage grinders that clamps onto
      your countertop. I've used one to crack dry corn. It should work
      even better on the softer wet corn.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "headcavedin"
      <headcavedin@y...> wrote:
      > Hey! I want to do a Corn wash. I understand how to go about letting
      > it sprout and then to grind. The sprout is where the enzymes comes
      > from, correct? What I need to know is what type of corn to look
      for.
      > Do I understand correctly That I need to look for a Non-Hybird?
      Thanks

      > Frank
    • Ludwig Kirsch
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 2, 2003
        If I may throw in my two cents. As I understand it malted corn would not have enough enzyme to convert all of the starch present. You would need to add malted barley to get a good conversion. All corn has starch and produce about the same % alcohol per bushel. The seed companies are now beginning to breed high starch corn for the fuel alcohol plants. The % gain in alcohol is like 3% more than regular corn. They are new and as yet not available

        Try malting your own barley. All you need is a refrigerator top, oven and a few cooky sheets. Use the malt green and you don't even need the oven. It is fairly easy and I have found a lot cheaper than buying pre-malted. I prefer the taste and I think the enzyme % is stronger. Selection is limited by location. I get mine from local farmers. Farmer will sell for pennies per pound or like $1.50 (US) a bushel. That's 3 cents a pound for 48 lbs or 22 Kg per bushel for barley. And think they have a heck of a good deal

        I malted some corn once and made beer. I deeply regret not writing down the recipe because it was some of the best beer I ever made.

        Ludwig

        >You might first try a batch using malted barley from your local
        >homebrew store. This has all the enzymes you'll need to convert the
        >starch in your corn to sugar. 6-row barley has more enzymes (someone
        >correct me if I'm wrong here. I never can clearly remember if it's
        >2-row or 6-row). The malted barley will make up something like 15 to
        >20% of your grains. I've never tried malting my own corn. Sounds
        >like a lot of trouble.
        >I think ALL types of corn contain starch, and therefore can be used to
        >make alcohol. I think the reason for picking non-hybrid type is for
        >better flavor. Some of the hybrids may actually have better alcohol
        >yield (more of the weight is in starch rather than husk or whatever
        >else). I use an old breed called "yellow dent". It has a good flavor
        >when eaten as corn-on-the-cob. It also makes very good meal and
        >cornbread.
        >
        >If you malt your own corn, you probably won't be able to have it
        >milled. It will be too wet and will bog the mill. The best bet here
        >is to use one of those hand powered sausage grinders that clamps onto
        >your countertop. I've used one to crack dry corn. It should work
        >even better on the softer wet corn.
        >

        >--- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "headcavedin"
        ><headcavedin@y...> wrote:
        >> Hey! I want to do a Corn wash. I understand how to go about letting
        >> it sprout and then to grind. The sprout is where the enzymes comes
        >> from, correct? What I need to know is what type of corn to look
        >for.
        >> Do I understand correctly That I need to look for a Non-Hybird?
        >Thanks
        >>
        >> Frank

        >FAQ and other information available at http://homedistiller.org

      • corn_wash
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 2, 2003
          all the info. i have found states corn has 60-70% convertable starch
          whitch is equal to about 6-7 pounds
          of sugar that is convertable to alc. amylase will get all ths sugars
          out ....................

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ludwig Kirsch"

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          > Get advanced SPAM filtering on Webmail or POP Mail ... Get Lycos
          Mail!
          > http://login.mail.lycos.com/r/referral?aid=27005
        • corn_wash
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 2, 2003
            that is 6-7 lbs sugar per 10 lbs. corn

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "corn_wash" <corn_wash@y...>
            wrote:
            > all the info. i have found states corn has 60-70% convertable
            starch
            > whitch is equal to about 6-7 pounds
            > of sugar that is convertable to alc. amylase will get all ths
            sugars
            > out ....................
            >

            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ludwig Kirsch"
            > <cannonfire54@l...> wrote:
            > > If I may throw in my two cents. As I understand it malted corn
            > would not have enough enzyme to convert all of the starch present.
            > You would need to add malted barley to get a good conversion. All
            > corn has starch and produce about the same % alcohol per bushel.
            The
            > seed companies are now beginning to breed high starch corn for the
            > fuel alcohol plants. The % gain in alcohol is like 3% more than
            > regular corn. They are new and as yet not available
            > >
            > > Try malting your own barley. All you need is a refrigerator top,
            > oven and a few cooky sheets. Use the malt green and you don't even
            > need the oven. It is fairly easy and I have found a lot cheaper
            than
            > buying pre-malted. I prefer the taste and I think the enzyme % is
            > stronger. Selection is limited by location. I get mine from local
            > farmers. Farmer will sell for pennies per pound or like $1.50 (US)
            > bushel. That's 3 cents a pound for 48 lbs or 22 Kg per bushel for
            > barley. And think they have a heck of a good deal
            > >
            > > I malted some corn once and made beer. I deeply regret not
            writing
            > down the recipe because it was some of the best beer I ever made.
            > >
            > > Ludwig
            > > --

          • headcavedin
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 2, 2003
              All this Good info. I surly do Appreciate to Guys. Excellant info. I
              don't mind the extra work if just for the sake of trying something
              diffrent, ya know? Thanks again

              Frank

              <headcavedin@y...> wrote:
              > Hey! I want to do a Corn wash. I understand how to go about letting
              > it sprout and then to grind. The sprout is where the enzymes comes
              > from, correct? What I need to know is what type of corn to look
              for.
              > Do I understand correctly That I need to look for a Non-Hybird?
              Thanks

              > Frank
            • flaming_pinto
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 2, 2003
                I just finished a corn wash which turned out VERY nice, so let me add
                my two cents in here.

                I used cracked, unmalted feed corn and malted 6-row barley (from the
                brew shop) in the follwing ratio:

                8 lbs corn
                3 lbs barley
                3 lbs corn-sugar (to boost alc. percentage)

                You have to boil the hell out of the corn to get the starch out - I
                boiled for an hour in two 20-quart pans. Then you bring the temp
                down to 150F and add the barley. Hold at 150-155F for an hour -
                (this is when the corn gets converted to sugars). Drain the liquid
                off the grains and make up to 5 or 6 gallons, depending on your
                fermentor. You can also brew on the grains and drain before
                distilling.

                I then reduced the temp to 85F, added the corn-sugar, 24oz of
                molasses for nutrients, and pitched a good quality grain yeast (Red
                Star brand "Distiller's" yeast). After 3 days of brisk fermentation,
                I distilled a gallon of excellent young whiskey @ 40%.

                Some of it we drank as-is, and some of it I put on oak. The stuff I
                put on oak rivals the best commercial whiskeys I have had.

                Hope this helps. I am in the process of brewing up some scotch using
                all matled barley (10 pounds 2-row, 5 pounds 6-row. I can't wait to
                see how this turns out after oaking.

                flaming_pinto

                <headcavedin@y...> wrote:

                > All this Good info. I surly do Appreciate to Guys. Excellant info.
                > don't mind the extra work if just for the sake of trying something
                > diffrent, ya know? Thanks again
                >
                > Frank
                >

                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "headcavedin"
                > <headcavedin@y...> wrote:
                > > Hey! I want to do a Corn wash. I understand how to go about
                letting
                > > it sprout and then to grind. The sprout is where the enzymes
                comes
                > > from, correct? What I need to know is what type of corn to look
                > for.
                > > Do I understand correctly That I need to look for a Non-Hybird?
                > Thanks
                > >
                > > Frank
              • nanosleep
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 2, 2003
                  This is almost identical to my procedure except I don't add sugar and
                  I ferment and distill on the grain.
                  I've had a few failed batches when I used only amalyse powdered
                  enzymes from the local homebrew store. I don't know whether the
                  amalyse powder wasn't a proper mixture of the different types of
                  enzymes, or if it was just dead. I don't think many people buy the
                  powdered enzymes so who knows how long it has been sitting on the
                  shelf. I have had good luck when using malted barley for the enzyme
                  action.
                  I usually cook my corn longer than 1 hour (at almost boiling). I've
                  used both cracked corn and fine meal. The meal takes less cooking and
                  has better yield, but you can't strain it and you must ferment and
                  distill on the grain. My boiler has electric elements and I haven't
                  (as of yet) had any problems scorching a corn wash. I use extra water
                  to help prevent this.

                  The only trouble I've had with scorching is with a pears. I ran some
                  pears through the sausage grinder and then fermented and distilled. I
                  think the wash was thick enough that it wasn't 'self stirring' when
                  heated, and the pear flesh seemed to be acting as an insulator. A bad
                  combination.

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "flaming_pinto"

                • flaming_pinto
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 3, 2003
                    Thanks to Wal's recent post on the subject, I discovered why my
                    mashing process sometimes results in lower-than-expected yeilds for
                    me.

                    Even though the starch conversion happens for the most part around
                    150-155F, the mash needs to be held at(or at least pass-through) the
                    95-105F range in order to really break down the gummy structures of
                    the starch so that the enzymes can crack them. For my last batch, I
                    didn't add the grains until 140F and the result was a ppg yeild of
                    only .022 instead of the expected .031 that I got with the previous
                    batch (which I added the grains at around 60F and heated slowly).

                    So to maximize your grain yeilds, always add the grains to cool water
                    and let them warm to 150F slowly. The article I read suggested that
                    holding the mash at 100F for 20 minutes will usually result in
                    several points improvement in the yeild. With the small batches we
                    are working with, every point counts.

                    Flaming_pinto

                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "nanosleep" <nanosleep@y...>