Preparing copper tube

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30, 2003
      I have just finished my first wash and as of yet have not started a
      still. I have gathered some second hand 1.5 inch copper tube for my
      first attempt. I was wondering if anyone new of an easy way to clean
      out the green gunk from the inside. I would prefer a chemical method
      as it seems to be quite tenacious.
    • corn_wash
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 30, 2003
        soak the copper i vinegar that contains 5%acid for a few hours you
        can get it at any store,you may already have some, the copper will
        shine like a new penny

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <gufty4@y...> wrote:
        > I have just finished my first wash and as of yet have not started a
        > still. I have gathered some second hand 1.5 inch copper tube for my
        > first attempt. I was wondering if anyone new of an easy way to
        clean
        > out the green gunk from the inside. I would prefer a chemical
        method
        > as it seems to be quite tenacious.
      • watertrade2003
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 2, 2003
          Hi Steve,
          when I was building my still I picked up some used dirty copper
          after trying everything vinegar soaks/ mechanical
          attachments /nitric acid baths - I found I was never happy with it I
          don't know how bad yours are but even after cleaning mine were still
          dirty looking I ended up just looking harder for 2nd hand un-used
          pipe
          good luck though!

          Jim

          "Steve" <gufty4@y...> wrote:
          > I have just finished my first wash and as of yet have not started
          > still. I have gathered some second hand 1.5 inch copper tube for
          my
          > first attempt. I was wondering if anyone new of an easy way to
          clean
          > out the green gunk from the inside. I would prefer a chemical
          method
          > as it seems to be quite tenacious.
        • Wil
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 2, 2003
            I don't know about the inside of the tubing, The Vinegar soak might
            do the trick, but a new scotchbrite pad and a little elbo grease
            does a dandy Job on copper pipe and fittings!!

            Wil,

            Ain't Yeast Ranching a Hoot!!

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "watertrade2003"
            <james1@w...> wrote:
            > Hi Steve,
            > when I was building my still I picked up some used dirty copper
            > after trying everything vinegar soaks/ mechanical
            > attachments /nitric acid baths - I found I was never happy with it
            > don't know how bad yours are but even after cleaning mine were
            still
            > dirty looking I ended up just looking harder for 2nd hand un-used
            > pipe
            > good luck though!
            >
            > Jim
            >

            > "Steve" <gufty4@y...> wrote:
            > > I have just finished my first wash and as of yet have not
            started
            > > still. I have gathered some second hand 1.5 inch copper tube for
            > my
            > > first attempt. I was wondering if anyone new of an easy way to
            > clean
            > > out the green gunk from the inside. I would prefer a chemical
            > method
            > > as it seems to be quite tenacious.
          • chonder69
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 2, 2003
              On my 2" pipe, I ziptied a couple of stainless steel scrubbers(or
              other abrasive) to a dowel rod and it's just like cleaning a gun
              barrel. The vinegar soak and some of the vinegar/salt/baking soda
              paste does okay for me. There are commercial copper cleaning
              chemicals in the housewares section of the grocery usually, it does
              a good job, but rinse well.