Question on fermentation

  • chonder69
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 30, 2003
      I been fermenting a batch of cornmeal/sugar/yeast/nutrients for 5
      days. It started with an oeschlemeter reading of 80, and has
      successively dropped to now 45. It still bubbles every second or
      so, and the pH is below 6, but it tastes very sweet/puky/and
      vinegary. Am I on the right track? This is my first ferment with
      anything but turbo/sugar and it behaved much differently.
    • corn_wash
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 30, 2003
        sounds like it quit because of hi ph ph should be 3-5 at most

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "chonder69" <kystudboy@b...>
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 30, 2003
          Is there a remedy?

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "corn_wash" <corn_wash@y...>

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 30, 2003
            It is still bubbling merrily away, and the pH is "below" 6 (I only
            have 6-8pH litmus strips). Does a mash keep on bubbling after it
            fails? Also the sp Gravity is still dropping, does it do this too
            when it fails? Thanks for the input.

            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 30, 2003
              as long as it is bubbling dont open it till it quits, keep it as
              close tp a temp of 80F as possible, the sugar will take the ph down
              as long as its working, it may take 5-14 days to finish wait at least
              12 hours after the bubbling stops thein check the sg and distill

              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 30, 2003
                So...as long as it is bubbling, it is producing alcohol???

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 30, 2003
                  yes, the more the bubbles the quicker the fermation, as a rule of
                  thumb i use 4 g of yeast per gallon, its always best to start the
                  yeast in some of the mash solution about a pint heated to about 100F.
                  let sit foe 15-30 min thein pore into the mash along with all the
                  other ingredeants waiting on the yeast, also corn should be cooked
                  for 45min -1 hr. at 150F (no more)in amylase enzime to release the
                  sugar from the corn

                  wrote:
                  > So...as long as it is bubbling, it is producing alcohol???
                  >

                  > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "corn_wash" <corn_wash@y...>
                  > wrote:
                  > > as long as it is bubbling dont open it till it quits, keep it as
                  > > close tp a temp of 80F as possible, the sugar will take the ph
                  > down
                  > > as long as its working, it may take 5-14 days to finish wait at
                  > least
                  > > 12 hours after the bubbling stops thein check the sg and distill
                  > >
                  > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "chonder69"
                  > <kystudboy@b...>
                  > > wrote:
                  > > > It is still bubbling merrily away, and the pH is "below" 6 (I
                  > only
                  > > > have 6-8pH litmus strips). Does a mash keep on bubbling after
                  > it
                  > > > fails? Also the sp Gravity is still dropping, does it do this
                  > too
                  > > > when it fails? Thanks for the input.
                  > > >

                  > > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "chonder69"
                  > <kystudboy@b...>

                  > > > <corn_wash@y...>

                  > cornmeal/sugar/yeast/nutrients
                  > > > for
                  > has
                  > > second
                  > sweet/puky/and
                  > ferment
                • watertrade2003
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 2, 2003
                    Hi,
                    I don't want to alarm you (there may be no need) but vinegar isn't
                    something you want to taste in your mash. You know how they make
                    vinegar? (well in the oldendays) let a wine,cider etc be infected
                    with a micro organisn called Mycoderma aceti basically it converts
                    alcohol into acetic acid...
                    Don't panic at this stage I would let it fully ferment then taste
                    it again if there is a strong vinegar taste /smell you might have a
                    problem.
                    I just went to taste my fermenting mash + mine tastes pretty bad
                    too.
                    good luck
                    Jim

                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 2, 2003
                      I am better now. I was at 22 deg C and went and put a heatpad and
                      blanket around the carbuoy. Took it up to 28deg and that speeded
                      the yeast up considerably. It sp gr. has dropped from 1045 to 1010
                      in the last 2 days, and it is getting a dryer, less vinegarry
                      taste. Thanks to all.

                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "watertrade2003"