Re: New distiller with questions....Column packing too tight?

  • Murphy-Marsh, Leigh
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 29 10:29 PM
      Don't know whether it's too late to get my two cents worth in or if
      somebody has already mentioned it but you said the packing was rolled in
      quite tight? That it would be difficult to remove? I would say that that
      is your main problem mate. The packing should allow good drainage
      through itself for the reflux. If it's packed in as tight as teenage
      girls at a Blink 182 concert then the pressure from the boiler will
      force the fluid up through the packing but it won't allow it to drain
      back through which, with a 50 mm column, it should do easily unless
      you're firing it with nuclear fuel rods.
      I have a 25 mm column at the moment (upgrading to 50 mm at present)
      which has a similar problem only it just doesn't allow the flow down
      because of the volume restriction. I can't use it all that well in an
      offset head configuration unless I rip the entire flow or pretty well
      all of it out with only the reflux I get from the columns collar
      cooling. I still get 70%+ which is adequate but want 90%+ which is why I
      want the bigger diameter column.
      Try pulling your packing out and only putting it in fairly loosely. It
      should still fill the entire column i.e. no holes or gaps between or
      around scrubbers but you should be able to breathe through the column
      comfortably. By really packing them in you've made it a one way street.
      Remember the packing is there as a medium for the vapour to condense on,
      not to physically scrub the vapour clean.
      Cheers,
      Leigh.