Ageing kirsch

  • Makra
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 29, 2003
      Hello everybody,

      I've read that kirch is aged in glass. I wonder how it is possible to age
      alcohol if there is no contact with oxygen at all. My second question is
      about smoothing agents. Should anything be applied to double distilled
      kirsch or just leave it as it is (my own opinion is to leave it, but maybe
      it is not professional:) ?
      Thank you for your help.
      Marcin
    • waljaco
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 30, 2003
        Pure ethanol is not the only ingredient in fruit brandies. These
        compounds do apparently oxidise. Lebanese arak (araq) is aged in clay
        pots for several months. Glycerine and sugar is normally not added as
        I understand.
        Wal
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Makra" <makra@a...> wrote:
        > Hello everybody,
        >
        > I've read that kirch is aged in glass. I wonder how it is possible
        to age
        > alcohol if there is no contact with oxygen at all. My second
        question is
        > about smoothing agents. Should anything be applied to double
        distilled
        > kirsch or just leave it as it is (my own opinion is to leave it,
        but maybe
        > it is not professional:) ?
        > Thank you for your help.
        > Marcin