Couple of questions

  • aaronad4@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 15, 2001
      Hello I have two questions:
      1. I am building a Stillmaker out of stainless. I am using a keg for
      the boiler. I plan on adding two 1500w hotwater heater elements to
      the boiler is this enough? I have read about moving the lower cooling
      tube to the top of the column, how far away from the upper cooling
      tube should the lower one be? Should I omit the lower tube all
      together? I have about 4m of 50mm stainless and was thinking of
      increasing the height of the column to somewhere between 110cm -120cm
      Does any one have any pointers on this design?

      2. I have a friend who owns a pub and has offered to collect the
      tails of beer that normally go down the drain for me to use as a
      mash. Can I use this as my mash? Will this change the quality or
      taste? I realize that this has a lower ETOH% than a mash made with
      turbo yeast & sugar, but I will have a lot of it and I won't have to
      mess with fermentation.

      Thanks
      Aaron
    • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 15, 2001
        Aaron,

        1) Yes, lose the lower tube. I'd guess about having the upper two say
        30-50mm apart ? Its a matter of having them so that they can effectively
        contact the vapour - if too close, and one directly above the other, then
        you'd have less chance of the vapour getting to the second one. Has anyone
        tried offsetting these (e.g. if looking down from the top, one through from
        say 11oclock to 7oclock, and the other say from 1oclock to 5oclock), or
        putting them at 90 degrees to each other ? Taller column will mean greater
        purity, and less reflux needed to do so. However at some stage it becomes
        difficult to read the top thermometer, etc, and become a little more prone
        to tipping over if not restrained.

        2) Sometimes the hops in the beer can come through in the spirit flavor.
        Will need to try it, and see if they're a problem or not. Gees- if not,
        then you're on to a winner ! Another option, to reduce the amount of slow
        high reflux stilling, is to run them through a beer stripper first - e.g. a
        basic pot still, which will increase them up from 4-5% up to 30-35%. This
        would turn say 100 L of 5% beer into 16 L of 30% "low wines". If you get
        real fancy with your excess tubing, you could possibly design your still
        with an interchangeable column (but still use the same condensor), so that
        you can use it first to strip the beer, collect up the results of a few of
        these, then put the StillMaker column in, and do the purity run. The column
        for the pot still version doesn't need to be anything fancy - basically just
        something that would connect the condensor to the keg.

        Tony