Re: Water run

  • CornFed (Randy)
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 25, 2003
      The normal boiling temperature of water is 212 degrees (f) or 100
      degrees (c) at sea level. Boiling Temperatures normally decrease as
      altitude increases. If your results are -above- the normal sea level
      number, then you are either below sea level or you have a -slight-
      restriction in your column (from packing stuffed in too tight) that
      is raising pressure. You may also have a thermometer that is
      misreading or is in the wrong place for accurate readings. I would
      investigate this last reason before making any major changes

      You did not mention that your column was surging and moving around
      violently and making ugly noises during your run, so I would not
      assume that a seriously blocked column is the reason.

      You can check your thermometer by placing it in a pot of boiling
      water on your kitchen stove. See what number it says that water is
      boiling at and adjust all of your other expected numbers
      accordingly. for example if water boils at 218 then your ideal
      ethanol product number should be 6 degrees higher also. Then make
      sure that the correct portion of the thermometer is in the vapor
      stream while things are in operation.