Legal implications of ordering a still online.

  • nerdfest2002
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 25, 2003
      I was reading some legalities on ordering stills and came up with a
      question. If you look at this page:
      (http://homedistiller.org/legal.htm#usa)

      Scroll down to the section on USA and it says this:

      1. Americans can own a still, but it must be no larger than 1 gallon,
      and may only be used for water purification or the extraction of
      essential oils from plants.
      2.Dealers/manufacturers of stills in the United States must surrender
      any address or other info on any customer who buys a still to the
      BATF, when they request it.(no warrant is required.)

      Has anyone ever heard of the ATF knocking on people's doors after
      getting a customer list from a still supplier?

      Thanks.
    • BOKAKOB
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 25, 2003
        Nobody will bother you and will care less if your product poisons just you and your family. But, if you start distributing the stuff, then sooner or later there will be a knock on your door and an official looking lads will show you a search warrant. Again, this is NOT a guarantee...

        nerdfest2002 <kingnerd@...> wrote:
        I was reading some legalities on ordering stills and came up with a
        question. If you look at this page:
        (http://homedistiller.org/legal.htm#usa)

        Scroll down to the section on USA and it says this:

        1. Americans can own a still, but it must be no larger than 1 gallon, and may only be used for water purification or the extraction of essential oils from plants.
        2.Dealers/manufacturers of stills in the United States must surrender any address or other info on any customer who buys a still to the BATF, when they request it.(no warrant is required.)
        Has anyone ever heard of the ATF knocking on people's doors after getting a customer list from a still supplier? Thanks.

        I can be wrong I must say
        Cheers, Alex...

      • corn_wash
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 25, 2003
          i agree with BOKAKOB and also say if you sell it their is a 99.99%
          chance you will get caught...

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, BOKAKOB <bokakob@y...> wrote:
          > Nobody will bother you and will care less if your product poisons
          just you and your family. But, if you start distributing the stuff,
          then sooner or later there will be a knock on your door and an
          official looking lads will show you a search warrant. Again, this is
          NOT a guarantee...

          > nerdfest2002 <kingnerd@e...> wrote:
          > I was reading some legalities on ordering stills and came up with a
          > question. If you look at this page:
          > (http://homedistiller.org/legal.htm#usa)
          >
          > Scroll down to the section on USA and it says this:
          >
          > 1. Americans can own a still, but it must be no larger than 1
          gallon, and may only be used for water purification or the extraction
          of essential oils from plants.
          > 2.Dealers/manufacturers of stills in the United States must
          surrender any address or other info on any customer who buys a still
          to the BATF, when they request it.(no warrant is required.)
          > Has anyone ever heard of the ATF knocking on people's doors after
          getting a customer list from a still supplier? Thanks.

          > I can be wrong I must say
          > Cheers, Alex...

        • nerdfest2002
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 25, 2003
            I definately understand and support the taxing of alcohol and why
            selling personal brew is a bad idea. The sale of homebrew spirits
            would skirt the taxes and also the programs that are funded by the
            taxes. So the people that were using these services would be
            consuming alcohol without paying the associated taxes. Got it.

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "corn_wash" <corn_wash@y...> wrote:
            > i agree with BOKAKOB and also say if you sell it their is a 99.99%
            > chance you will get caught...
            >
            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, BOKAKOB <bokakob@y...> wrote:
            > > Nobody will bother you and will care less if your product poisons
            > just you and your family. But, if you start distributing the stuff,
            > then sooner or later there will be a knock on your door and an
            > official looking lads will show you a search warrant. Again, this is
            > NOT a guarantee...
            > >
            > > nerdfest2002 <kingnerd@e...> wrote:
            > > I was reading some legalities on ordering stills and came up with a
            > > question. If you look at this page:
            > > (http://homedistiller.org/legal.htm#usa)
            > >
            > > Scroll down to the section on USA and it says this:
            > >
            > > 1. Americans can own a still, but it must be no larger than 1
            > gallon, and may only be used for water purification or the extraction
            > of essential oils from plants.
            > > 2.Dealers/manufacturers of stills in the United States must
            > surrender any address or other info on any customer who buys a still
            > to the BATF, when they request it.(no warrant is required.)
            > > Has anyone ever heard of the ATF knocking on people's doors after
            > getting a customer list from a still supplier? Thanks.
            > >

            > > I can be wrong I must say
            > > Cheers, Alex...

          • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 28, 2003
              > Has anyone ever heard of the ATF knocking on people's doors after
              > getting a customer list from a still supplier?

              Yes, it happened several times last year.

              Tony
            • dark_taet
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 29, 2003
                The trick would be to order it and make sure the condensor and the
                boiler are shipped two weeks apart.. Owning either is legal. Also
                make sure they dont send you instructions...!

                And who the hell is the ATF...?

                Matt

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)"
                <Tony.Ackland@c...> wrote:
                > > Has anyone ever heard of the ATF knocking on people's doors after
                > > getting a customer list from a still supplier?
                >
                > Yes, it happened several times last year.
                >
                > Tony
              • waljaco
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 29, 2003
                  A.T.F.? - Go to http://www.atf.treas.gov

                  Wal
                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "dark_taet" <ndistillers@t...>
                  wrote:
                  > The trick would be to order it and make sure the condensor and the
                  > boiler are shipped two weeks apart.. Owning either is legal. Also
                  > make sure they dont send you instructions...!
                  >
                  > And who the hell is the ATF...?
                  >
                  > Matt
                  >

                  > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)"
                  > <Tony.Ackland@c...> wrote:
                  > > > Has anyone ever heard of the ATF knocking on people's doors
                  after
                  > > > getting a customer list from a still supplier?
                  > >
                  > > Yes, it happened several times last year.
                  > >
                  > > Tony
                • Mike Nixon
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 29, 2003
                    Subject: [new_distillers] Re: Legal implications of ordering a still online.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 1, 2003
                      Yikes! How about supplies usable only for high alcohol content brews?

                      Also, Tony, How can I change this subscription to the "new distillers
                      digest"?

                      Thanks,
                      Esjay

                      > > Has anyone ever heard of the ATF knocking on people's doors after
                      > > getting a customer list from a still supplier?
                      >
                      > Yes, it happened several times last year.
                      >
                      > Tony

                    • corn_wash
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 1, 2003
                        not likley, unless you ordered say 25 pounds of yeast a month,

                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Johnson" <esjay@m...>
                        wrote:
                        > Yikes! How about supplies usable only for high alcohol content
                        brews?

                        > Also, Tony, How can I change this subscription to the "new
                        distillers
                        > digest"?
                        >
                        > Thanks,
                        > Esjay

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 1, 2003
                          > Also, Tony, How can I change this subscription to the "new distillers
                          > digest"?

                          Change your subscriptions by sending a blank email to ...
                          new_Distillers-digest@yahoogroups.com - Daily Digest
                          new_Distillers-normal@yahoogroups.com - Individual messages
                          new_Distillers-nomail@yahoogroups.com - No email (good if going away on holiday)

                          Tony