Re: Practice run

  • nanosleep
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 23, 2003
      If you buy the cheap stuff you might be able to improve it a little by
      removing some of the heads and tails. If you catch everything that
      comes over it should be perfectly drinkable (no worse than what it was
      originally). The behavior of the still depends on what type it is.
      If it's a pot still the temperature will depend on how much alcohol is
      in your boiler at the time and how much inherent reflux is happening
      in the cap of the still. The temperature in a pot still will
      definitely NOT jump up quickly.
      If it's a reflux column then the temperature *at the head* will sit
      rock solid on the ethanol boiling temp (maybe slightly off depending
      the accuracy of your thermometer and how you mounted it). The
      temperature will jump up when the alcohol is gone from the boiler.
      "Jump" here is a relative term. My column "jumps" up in 5 to 15
      minutes (after being rock solid for hours of running). The
      temperature will come up slowly if you don't have enough reflux or
      your column is short or of poor design.