airlocks

  • Phillipa
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 14, 2001
      Greetings all,

      Just a comment about airlocks. I find that fermenting turbo yeasts produce
      heaps of carbon dioxide, too much for an airlock to cope with. I leave the
      airlock off and place an upturned drinkng glass over the airlock hole.

      Cheers
      Phillipa
    • janpam ooms
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 14, 2001
        I never had any problems with the airlock.my favorite yeast in winter is
        alcotec 8 and if you keep it around 22celsius no violent fermentation is
        evident and it produces 7 litres of 80% with a second distillation.I
        consider that very good from 8 kg of sugar in a 25 litre wash.
        Regards Jan.

        >From: "Phillipa" <pjndave@...>
        >To: <new_distillers@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: [new_distillers] airlocks
        >Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2001 22:04:56 +1000
        >
        >Greetings all,
        >
        >Just a comment about airlocks. I find that fermenting turbo yeasts produce
        >heaps of carbon dioxide, too much for an airlock to cope with. I leave the
        >airlock off and place an upturned drinkng glass over the airlock hole.
        >
        >Cheers
        >Phillipa

      • G&N
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 14, 2001
          Jan .....i just cant see how you get 7 litres of 80% ethanol,from 8 kgs of
          sugar is possible?????

          [from Tony's Web site]
          Yield
          How much alcohol can you expect to make, knowing how much sugar you put in ?
          Easy. The theoretical yield is 51.1%, but you will get less than this,
          around 48% because you lose some of the sugars to forming the small amounts
          of other alcohols, esters, etc (eg 0.48 L of ethanol for every 1 kg sugar).
          All going well, you should be able to capture approx 90% of this, ie 43%. So
          ... for say 5 kg of sugar, you should be able to get 0.43 x 5 = 2.15 L of
          pure ethanol. I collect mine at 75% strength, ie I get around 2.15 / 0.75 =
          2.8 L of distillate . If you run a pot still at 40%, this means you will get
          around 5.4 L of distillate. Just another way of knowing when your run is
          about to finish.

          > I never had any problems with the airlock.my favorite yeast in winter is
          > alcotec 8 and if you keep it around 22celsius no violent fermentation is
          > evident and it produces 7 litres of 80% with a second distillation.I
          > consider that very good from 8 kg of sugar in a 25 litre wash.
          > Regards Jan.
          >

          > >From: "Phillipa" <pjndave@...>
          > >To: <new_distillers@yahoogroups.com>
          > >Subject: [new_distillers] airlocks
          > >Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2001 22:04:56 +1000
          > >
          > >Greetings all,
          > >
          > >Just a comment about airlocks. I find that fermenting turbo yeasts
          produce
          > >heaps of carbon dioxide, too much for an airlock to cope with. I leave
          the
          > >airlock off and place an upturned drinkng glass over the airlock hole.
          > >
          > >Cheers
          > >Phillipa

        • janpam ooms
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 15, 2001
            Hi Glenn,
            I did not believe it at first but i have fermented two more batches with the
            same results and my neighbour has tried it as well and he had the same end
            result.I strip the the wash of all the alcohol on the first run and finished
            up with a bit more than 7 1/2 litres.With the second distillation i got 7
            litres.As i said before my neighbour tried it too and those quantities are
            correct.No bull.This alcotec 8 yeast is unbelievable.If you live in Brisbane
            I can prove it to you.
            Regards Jan.

          • Matt
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 15, 2001
              On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 03:20:25AM +1000, janpam ooms wrote:
              > Hi Glenn,
              > I did not believe it at first but i have fermented two more batches with the
              > same results and my neighbour has tried it as well and he had the same end
              > result.I strip the the wash of all the alcohol on the first run and finished
              > up with a bit more than 7 1/2 litres.With the second distillation i got 7
              > litres.As i said before my neighbour tried it too and those quantities are
              > correct.No bull.This alcotec 8 yeast is unbelievable.If you live in Brisbane
              > I can prove it to you.
              > Regards Jan.
              >

              > >Jan .....i just cant see how you get 7 litres of 80% ethanol,from 8 kgs of
              > >sugar is possible?????

              hmm yes this does sound fishy. I thought it was accepted that 17g of
              sugar can only yield 1% EtOH (abv) in 1 liter of mash. Maybe not 80%
              alcohol but 80... proof? This sounds more reasonable.

              Matthew @ psibercom