plumbers putty

  • chonder69
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 18, 2003
      Anyone ever tried plain plumbers putty for a boiler lid seal?
    • Wil
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 18, 2003
        Havn't used it, but posed about the same question myself a few
        weeks ago, the answer I got was DON'T..

        Wil

        Ain't Yeast Ranching a hoot!!

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "chonder69" <kystudboy@b...>
        wrote:
        > Anyone ever tried plain plumbers putty for a boiler lid seal?
      • CornFed (Randy)
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 19, 2003
          there are different kinds of plumbers putty.

          I used a type that was basically an epoxy product. Hot ethanol in
          vapor form disolved it in quick order.

          I still say that if the solution involves glue it isnt the best
          solution.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Wil" <wbg_us@y...> wrote:
          > Havn't used it, but posed about the same question myself a few
          > weeks ago, the answer I got was DON'T..
          >
          > Wil
          >
          > Ain't Yeast Ranching a hoot!!
          >

          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "chonder69" <kystudboy@b...>
          > wrote:
          > > Anyone ever tried plain plumbers putty for a boiler lid seal?
        • Mr. Brew Diggity Dog
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 21, 2003
            wrote:
            > Anyone ever tried plain plumbers putty for a boiler lid seal?

            I've actually had a message bookmarked for a while after discovering
            how terrible plumbers putty is.
            reccommendation is to use "black, high temp automotive silicone". So
            if i was you, I'd try that.