RE: [new_distillers] Digest Number 265

  • Rex Nairn
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 10, 2001
      Jan,

      I feel I have to respond to all this talk about the Z Filter being bad
      because it is plastic! Please remove the blinkers. All plastics chosen by
      manufacturers for any part of distilling have been chosen because they do
      NOT leak any plasticides into the wash or the spirit and are completely
      safe. Think about it. Why would the home distilling industry risk poisoning
      its customers? With the liquor industry already in the governments ear about
      the legal distilling industry why on earth would any distilling manufacturer
      take any risk at all with a new product.

      The Z Filter is far and away the easiest carbon treatment to hit the market
      and gives the best possible carbon treatment by channelling all of the
      spirit through all of the carbon. Its shape makes it easier to work with
      than a 1 metre long tube. Stainless steel would make it very expensive and
      the weight of it would make it unwieldy and in danger of toppling over.
      Glass is too breakable!

      Every one is entitled to an opinion and if you dont want to use plastic that
      is up to you but please ensure you are well informed before you try to
      spread your personal prejudices around. So far the only reason I have heard
      you give for not using plastic is that it leaches plasticides. Please be
      aware that this is not the case with the plastic used by distilling
      manufacturers.

      Regards,
      Rex.

      From: "janpam ooms" <janpamooms@...>

      Message: 1
      Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001 19:30:29 +1000
      From: "janpam ooms" <janpamooms@...>
      Subject: Re: Z unit distilling

      Glenn,they are home made but are easy to manufacture from am old beer barrel

      and some elbows and 2inch dairy fittings and a ball valve, all in stainless
      of course. Email me your mailing adress and i will send you a copy of the
      email. Regards Jan. Stay away from any plastic crap like this heaven sent z

      filter.
    • G&N
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 10, 2001
        Rex ..i totally agree with you, plastic has been around for a long time now
        and will be with us for a long time to come,plastic would become solvent and
        dissolve if it had a problem with ethanol ...personally i think Stainless is
        great for ease of cleaning and the heat that it will take for a stilling
        apparatus but i would have to say that even though it has a lot of nickel
        content it is still an extremely dirty metal [also copper]that will rust and
        it does oxidize ..sure it will last a long time but it does need regular
        cleaning.

        ..as an example.....If a spoon is left on a sink over night that has water
        in-between you can be sure that it will start get surface rust underneath
        it.

        Glenn

        > I feel I have to respond to all this talk about the Z Filter being bad
        > because it is plastic! Please remove the blinkers. All plastics chosen by
        > manufacturers for any part of distilling have been chosen because they do
        > NOT leak any plasticides into the wash or the spirit and are completely
        > safe. Think about it. Why would the home distilling industry risk
        poisoning
        > its customers? With the liquor industry already in the governments ear
        about
        > the legal distilling industry why on earth would any distilling
        manufacturer
        > take any risk at all with a new product.
        >
        > The Z Filter is far and away the easiest carbon treatment to hit the
        market
        > and gives the best possible carbon treatment by channelling all of the
        > spirit through all of the carbon. Its shape makes it easier to work with
        > than a 1 metre long tube. Stainless steel would make it very expensive and
        > the weight of it would make it unwieldy and in danger of toppling over.
        > Glass is too breakable!
        >
        > Every one is entitled to an opinion and if you dont want to use plastic
        that
        > is up to you but please ensure you are well informed before you try to
        > spread your personal prejudices around. So far the only reason I have
        heard
        > you give for not using plastic is that it leaches plasticides. Please be
        > aware that this is not the case with the plastic used by distilling
        > manufacturers.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Rex.

      • janpam ooms
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 11, 2001
          Hello Rex,
          Thank you for your email in regard to the Z Filter.I do remember words in
          the same vein being spoken and printed when DDT just hit the market many
          years ago.Now in this day and age if you have DDT left in your garage in a
          sealed container you can be prosecuted for just having it on your
          property.Nobody and i mean nobody knows what this plastic will do to you in
          25 years time and i am old enough not to believe what manufacturers tell you
          and that includes retailers who sell this plastic gear.
          Hopefully i might be proven wrong on the year 2030 but i still prefer 316
          stainless,stuff the cost,your health is more important than a few lousy
          dollars.
          Anyhow,i must give it to you Kiwis,you are way ahead of the rest of the
          world in regard to homebrewing.
          To anyone using plastic in your distilling towers,filters etc please think
          again.You cant go out and purchase a new innards when the surgeons cut it
          all away.
          I have taken my blinkers off and read a lot about plastics and i am still
          convinced that it is better to stick to stainless ans/or glass.
          I rest my case.

          Best Regards. Jan.

        • klcampbell
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 11, 2001
            Hi gang,maybe we should all stop and look at the facts.Do we know exactly
            what plastics are being used,do not answer until you are positive of the
            facts.I have been employed in the plastics industry for over 35 years and
            know,or can research the results of any positive reactions providing the
            manufactures are prepared to supply us with the relative data.Do you know
            that a lot of the floats in carburettors are made of plastic and they
            operate at elevated temperatures in alcohol rich environments,also a number
            of parts in fuel injection systems are plastic.Lets get the facts and
            analyse it. .Regards for now Ken. ----- Original Message -----
> [...]
            market
            > >and gives the best possible carbon treatment by channelling all of the
            > >spirit through all of the carbon. Its shape makes it easier to work with
            > >than a 1 metre long tube. Stainless steel would make it very expensive
            and
            > >the weight of it would make it unwieldy and in danger of toppling over.
            > >Glass is too breakable!
            > >
            > >Every one is entitled to an opinion and if you dont want to use plastic
            > >that
            > >is up to you but please ensure you are well informed before you try to
            > >spread your personal prejudices around. So far the only reason I have
            heard
            > >you give for not using plastic is that it leaches plasticides. Please be
            > >aware that this is not the case with the plastic used by distilling

          • Ben M
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 29, 2012
              Hi everyone. i know this is an old post but i just joined last week and was skimming through the old ones to find answers to my questions which i have found. i'm in the process of building a 4qt reflux and don't have questions as of yet. i saw this and just had to reply to the statement """Think about it. Why would the home distilling industry risk poisoning its customers?"""

              I laughed a bit cause its like saying: why would the tobacco industry risk poisoning it's customers?

              anyways, just sayin hi and happy distilling! i got about 41,000 posts left to read :)