Re: New guy making first run with questions

  • whymemate
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2003
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "noobtothis"
      <drickles37388@n...> wrote:
      > I have built the double reducer bokabob put in the files section.
      > Making a plain water run to see if it works and also to clean it out
      > good. Questions:
      >
      > 1.) How long after temp gets up to 97 deg C should you let it
      > reflux?
      >
      > 2:) I am running water through the condensor: Should the water
      > coming out be about the same temp as what is going in to get maximum
      > condensor action?
      >
      > 3.) I am getting about 1 drip every 2 seconds with the needle valve
      > full open. Does this seem right?
      >
      > Any help is greatly appreciated.

      1. Water boils and condenses at 100 deg C. assuming sea level. So
      assuming your thermometer is correct, the bulk of your water is
      condensing in the column and dropping down. Either increase your heat
      or insulate the column. The good news is that alcohol/water mixes
      boil/condense at lower temps so what you have now will undoubtablely
      work well.

      2. In order for the condenser to work heat has to be transfered to the
      coil and similarly transfered to the water in it. But in practice,
      assuming good flow rate through the coil, I doubt you could feel the
      difference.

      3. No, it should be faster than that. The reason it isn't is in the
      answer to question one.

      Good luck
      WMM
    • noobtothis
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2003
        Well, been in messenger chat with a buddy of mine and we figured it
        out. I did not have enough water flow through the condensor. I
        increased the flow and it is dripping along happily now....will keep
        all the suggestions in mind though for future improvements as I
        progress in this new "hobby" of mine.

        Thanks for all the suggestions and explainations.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "whymemate" <whymemate@y...>
        wrote:
        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "noobtothis"
        > <drickles37388@n...> wrote:
        > > I have built the double reducer bokabob put in the files
        section.
        > > Making a plain water run to see if it works and also to clean it
        out
        > > good. Questions:
        > >
        > > 1.) How long after temp gets up to 97 deg C should you let it
        > > reflux?
        > >
        > > 2:) I am running water through the condensor: Should the water
        > > coming out be about the same temp as what is going in to get
        maximum
        > > condensor action?
        > >
        > > 3.) I am getting about 1 drip every 2 seconds with the needle
        valve
        > > full open. Does this seem right?
        > >
        > > Any help is greatly appreciated.
        >
        > 1. Water boils and condenses at 100 deg C. assuming sea level. So
        > assuming your thermometer is correct, the bulk of your water is
        > condensing in the column and dropping down. Either increase your
        heat
        > or insulate the column. The good news is that alcohol/water mixes
        > boil/condense at lower temps so what you have now will
        undoubtablely
        > work well.
        >
        > 2. In order for the condenser to work heat has to be transfered to
        the
        > coil and similarly transfered to the water in it. But in practice,
        > assuming good flow rate through the coil, I doubt you could feel
        the
        > difference.
        >
        > 3. No, it should be faster than that. The reason it isn't is in
        the
        > answer to question one.
        >
        > Good luck
        > WMM
      • nanosleep
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 2, 2003
          I adjust the cooling water flow so that the water coming out of the
          condenser is quite warm. This works just as well as high flow, but
          saves lots of water. My rule of thumb is to turn down the flow until
          the temperature of the output water is as hot as you can stand to
          touch (120F?).
          Of course, if you have uncondensed vapor leaving your still, you'll
          need more cooling. If you have uncondensed vapor and your cooling
          water output is not hot, you should look into building a more
          efficient condenser. Uncondensed vapor is also a serious fire hazard.