old ceramic pot still photos

  • apacescargot
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2003
      Hello!

      My name is Sylvio.

      I need photos and plans of traditional ceramic pot still
      for "tequilla" distillation.
      In Brazil, the artisanal production of sugar cane spirit(cachaça) is
      very traditional and similar to mexican tequilla.

      Thanks.
    • waljaco
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 2, 2003
        Re: 'vino mezcal'
        There is a photo (small) in -
        http://www.tasteofts.com/bevs/mexcal/mezcal.html
        It is a clay pot on a brick wood-fired furnace with a reed vapor lyne
        arm going to a serpentine water cooled condensor.
        See also -
        http://www.oaxaca.gob.mx/mezcal/english/e_galeria.html
        http://www.elsoldelacosta.com/mezcal.html
        http://www.mezcal.commez.html

        For an Indian terracotta still see -
        http://bcis.pacificu.edu/~polverone/muspratt1/c-115.html
        This is basically 2 clay pots with a bamboo or reed pipe joining the
        boiling pot to the condensor pot which is cooled with water by hand
        from a ladle.

        Steel drums are also used for distillation.

        Wal

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "apacescargot"
        <apacescargot@y...> wrote:
        > Hello!
        >
        > My name is Sylvio.
        >
        > I need photos and plans of traditional ceramic pot still
        > for "tequilla" distillation.
        > In Brazil, the artisanal production of sugar cane spirit(cachaça)
        is
        > very traditional and similar to mexican tequilla.
        >
        > Thanks.
      • waljaco
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 2, 2003
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@h...> wrote:
          > Re: 'vino mezcal'
          > There is a photo (small) in -
          > http://www.tasteoftx.com/bevs/mezcal/mezcal.html
          > It is a clay pot on a brick wood-fired furnace with a reed vapor
          lyne
          > arm going to a serpentine water cooled condensor.
          > See also -
          > http://www.oaxaca.gob.mx/mezcal/english/e_galeria.html
          > http://www.elsoldelacosta.com/mezcal.html
          > http://www.mezcal.commez.html
          >
          > For an Indian terracotta still see -
          > http://bcis.pacificu.edu/~polverone/muspratt1/c-115.html
          > This is basically 2 clay pots with a bamboo or reed pipe joining
          the
          > boiling pot to the condensor pot which is cooled with water by hand
          > from a ladle.
          >
          > Steel drums are also used for distillation.
          >
          > Wal
          >
          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "apacescargot"
          > <apacescargot@y...> wrote:
          > > Hello!
          > >
          > > My name is Sylvio.
          > >
          > > I need photos and plans of traditional ceramic pot still
          > > for "tequilla" distillation.
          > > In Brazil, the artisanal production of sugar cane spirit(cachaça)
          > is
          > > very traditional and similar to mexican tequilla.
          > >
          > > Thanks.
        • waljaco
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 2, 2003
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@h...> wrote:
            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@h...>
            wrote:
            > > Re: 'vino mezcal'
            > > There is a photo (small) in -
            > > http://www.tasteoftx.com/bevs/mezcal/mezcal.html
            > > It is a clay pot on a brick wood-fired furnace with a reed vapor
            > lyne
            > > arm going to a serpentine water cooled condensor.
            > > See also -
            > > http://www.oaxaca.gob.mx/mezcal/english/e_galeria.html
            > > http://www.elsoldelacosta.com/mezcal.html
            > > http://www.mezcal.com/mez.html
            > >
            > > For an Indian terracotta still see -
            > > http://bcis.pacificu.edu/~polverone/muspratt1/c-115.html
            > > This is basically 2 clay pots with a bamboo or reed pipe joining
            > the
            > > boiling pot to the condensor pot which is cooled with water by
            hand
            > > from a ladle.
            > >
            > > Steel drums are also used for distillation.
            > >
            > > Wal
            > >
            > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "apacescargot"
            > > <apacescargot@y...> wrote:
            > > > Hello!
            > > >
            > > > My name is Sylvio.
            > > >
            > > > I need photos and plans of traditional ceramic pot still
            > > > for "tequilla" distillation.
            > > > In Brazil, the artisanal production of sugar cane spirit
            (cachaça)
            > > is
            > > > very traditional and similar to mexican tequilla.
            > > >
            > > > Thanks.
          • waljaco
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 3, 2003
              Sylvio,
              See msg 8634.
              But in Venezuela, a steel drum makes a good pot still for 'cocuy'
              which is Venezuelan mezcal from the local agave. I do not think the
              makers used plans for clay pot stills or those from steel drums!
              Sugarcane needs a roller mill crusher but you could crush it in a
              hollow log with a pestle as in Africa and boil with a little water to
              extract the sugar. This is repeated several times. The edge roller
              mill shown for mezcal could also be used for cut up sugarcane.
              Cocuy Pecayero
              http://www.funflc.org.ve/licor.htm