Re: [new_distillers] get anti virus software

  • Bob Bourne
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2003
      I use AntiVir, it's free, I've had no virus problems.

      http://www.free-av.com/

      Bob Bourne.

      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 2003
        >The virus in question is the sobig virus which comes as a mail attachment. "WHICH CAME FROM THIS GROUP".

        No - it only SAYS it came from this group. These virus' have the ability to fake the "from" address.

        Tony
      • Martin Hanover
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 1, 2003
            Tony Wrote.
          No - it only SAYS it came from this group. These virus' have the ability to fake the "from" address.

          Tony

          O K .  Tony, This is what I got from AVG. (below).  How is it only from this group I get infected attachments as I'm subscribed to many other groups and I get no problems.
          Martin..

          I-Worm/Sobig.F

          Is a worm which spreads by sending itself on all e-mail addresses that are taken from files placed on the infected computer and have following extension: WAB, DBX, EML, TXT, HTM, HTML, sender's address is faked.

          Message subject is usually one of the following:
          Your details
          Re: Your application
          Re: Wicked screensaver
          Re: That movie
          Re: Thank you!
          Thank you!
          Re: Re: My details
          Re: Details
          Re: Approved

          Message body:
          See the attached file for details
          or
          Please see the attached file for details.

          Attached filename is for example:
          application.pif
          details.pif
          document_9446.pif
          document_all.pif
          movie0045.pif
          thank_you.pif
          your_details.pif
          your_document.pif
          wicked_scr.scr

          On the infected computer WINPP32.exe file is created in the Windows folder and registers itself into the key: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run as TrayX.

          This I-Worm spreads through shared disks by searching for PC with shared unit and uploads itself into the StartUp directory.

          ---

        • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 1, 2003
            >How is it only from this group I get infected attachments as I'm subscribed to many other groups and I get no problems.

            We now have many members (726 "New Distillers" and 988 "Distillers") so there is a large chance that one or two of our members have the virus.

            In addition, we are still one of the few groups that still allows emailing of attachments etc, so that we can share photos and recipes, etc. Many will only allow text to be sent.

            Tony
          • Harley Daschund
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 2, 2003
              The most reliable defence against 'infected' e-mail attachments is.....DONT
              open ANY attachment unless you are 110% sure where/who it came from.....I
              havnt used an AV prog in years (IMPO they usually cause more problems than
              they prevent) and havnt had any Virus related problems...common sense is the
              best protection...:>)