Re: Carbon filtering

  • Wil
    Message 1 of 39 , Sep 1, 2003
      Why don't you hook up with me next May Harley, We will Ride down
      together for Spring bike week in Myrtle Beach SC. I can hook you up
      with some lil 20something biker chicks who just looooove to party.
      We will take in some of the better Strip Clubs and party spots and
      have a ball, Im sure we can get you over that "I havnt been 'drunk'
      in 15 years+...." thing REAL quick!! :o)

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harley Daschund"
      <harley_daschund@h...> wrote:
      > Well Wil,as far as I am concerned this forum is not about making
      something
      > to "get drunk" on..(if I am wrong,someone please correct me..as I
      havnt been
      > 'drunk' in 15 years+....)....its a bit more mature than that...as
      far as
      > carbon filtering,IMPO,there is no 'Vodka' that dosnt benefit from
      it...may
      > not be necessary but it dosnt hurt.....its a matter of taste....I
      have heard
      > of 'alkies' drinking Sterno (Methanol)....simply because they
      wanted to "
      > get drunk"....I doubt they 'carbon treat' it beforehand or are
      concerned
      > with the taste...:>)...HD
      >

      > >From: "Wil" <wbg_us@y...>
      > >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
      > >Subject: [new_distillers] Re: Carbon filtering
      > >Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 20:14:47 -0000
      > >
      > >My "objective", like the rest here I assume, is to distill a good
      > >pure spirit man. If my warped sense of humor, expressed in
      > >a "tagline" upsets you, I hate it for ya Brother. That's just
      me..

      > >If you have something constructive to offer on carbon filtering
      > >tho, would love to hear it.
      > >
      > >Thanks,
      > >
      > >Wil

      > MSN 8: Get 6 months for $9.95/month. http://join.msn.com/?
      page=dept/dialup
    • stevolate
      Message 39 of 39 , Nov 14, 2006
        Hi Karl
        Depends on wash size, I run 45 litres.
        I use the first 50 mill for-shots to clean around the house, the next
        700 mills heads I put back in a first distillation. Collect all middle
        run until temp rises point one of a degree. When this occurs I change
        containers and increase reflux. A lot depends on your collection rate
        as with a second run, you can collect a lot faster and still have the
        ethanol come out at 95% but it will have a smell if collected to fast.
        If you collect at a rate similar to what you run on a first run to
        collect 95% you will have a long middle run before the temp goes up.
        As the run continues the collection rate gets slower and the tails
        smell will appear. You need to change containers regularly after the
        temp rises. Even though you are collecting 95% and keeping the temp
        down by increasing reflux the smell will appear. It gets to where it
        is not worth the time for the output. I normally stop when the boiler
        temp gets to 96.6 Celsius as the output is to slow to be bothered and
        it is only smelly tails to be added to a first run.

        On the second run I recommend leaving the still at full reflux for at
        least 30 minutes before you start to collect for-shots and collect at
        1 drip per second during this time I use very low power.
        The heads I collect at 2 to 3 drips per second and increase the power
        slightly. Normally there are not 700 mills of heads but you need to
        smell regularly after 500 mill. The middle run I collect faster and
        with more power until the temp jumps then the reverse, lower
        collection rate (increase reflux) Temp will drop.
        There is some ethanol left in the boiler but not much.
        Smell it and you will see what you have removed from the first
        distillation that you would of drunk.

        Hope I have not confused you too much.

        Happy drinking

        Stevo